Zenaan Harkness on Fri, 17 Jun 2016 20:18:42 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Renewed Tyranny of Structurelessness

On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 09:41:12AM -0700, John Hopkins wrote:

> [Sorry, delayed by flaky mods....]
>
> On 15/Jun/16 03:19, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> >This means, that the cost to implement a "new community with new rules",
> >in terms of education and effort, is not far off zero (at least for those
> >with a Western schooling).
>
> Hmmm, this is a bit like saying "virtual worlds are not material" -- to
> generate a community requires sustained attention that is expressed through
> the expenditure of life-time and life-energy -- no way around it -- and

Of course, which is why one ought advise oneself to spend at least a
little time trying to ascertain how the group you are interested in
handles problems, prior to making large personal investment.

> neither of those inputs are refundable, they are something that you give out
> (freely or not) when engaged in building social relationships. I'd say that
> is a high cost indeed!

I was of course referring to the infrastructure cost for online
communications/ communities.

And some people have complained here and there that "no one listed to me
in this particular oh so cool community" - and so in such circumstances,
my suggestion is to either find another community, with people who -do-
appreciate who you are, or start your own.

There are some rather large communities such as Debian that have
relatively cotton-wooliness which should suit certain personalities to a
tee - "family friendly" at every corner. I dare say --every-- community
has areas for improvement - can't get around humans being human, and the
need to communicate and interest in order to experience community.