nettime's substance investor on Mon, 4 Jul 2016 22:42:26 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Ethereum: DAO - "The Attacker"

http://pastebin.com/CcGUBgDG

===== BEGIN SIGNED MESSAGE =====
To the DAO and the Ethereum community,

I have carefully examined the code of The DAO and decided to
participate after finding the feature where splitting is rewarded with
additional ether. I have made use of this feature and have rightfully
claimed 3,641,694 ether, and would like to thank the DAO for this
reward. It is my understanding that the DAO code contains this feature
to promote decentralization and encourage the creation of "child
DAOs".

I am disappointed by those who are characterizing the use of this
intentional feature as "theft". I am making use of this explicitly
coded feature as per the smart contract terms and my law firm has
advised me that my action is fully compliant with United States
criminal and tort law. For reference please review the terms of the
DAO:

"The terms of The DAO Creation are set forth in the smart
contract code existing on the Ethereum blockchain at
0xbb9bc244d798123fde783fcc1c72d3bb8c189413. Nothing in this
explanation of terms or in any other document or communication
may modify or add any additional obligations or guarantees beyond
those set forth in The DAO’s code. Any and all explanatory
terms or descriptions are merely offered for educational purposes
and do not supercede or modify the express terms of The DAO’s
code set forth on the blockchain; to the extent you believe
there to be any conflict or discrepancy between the descriptions
offered here and the functionality of The DAO’s code at
0xbb9bc244d798123fde783fcc1c72d3bb8c189413, The DAO’s code controls
and sets forth all terms of The DAO Creation."

A soft or hard fork would amount to seizure of my legitimate and
rightful ether, claimed legally through the terms of a smart contract.
Such fork would permanently and irrevocably ruin all confidence in
not only Ethereum but also the in the field of smart contracts and
blockchain technology. Many large Ethereum holders will dump their
ether, and developers, researchers, and companies will leave Ethereum.
Make no mistake: any fork, soft or hard, will further damage Ethereum
and destroy its reputation and appeal.

I reserve all rights to take any and all legal action against any
accomplices of illegitimate theft, freezing, or seizure of my
legitimate ether, and am actively working with my law firm. Those
accomplices will be receiving Cease and Desist notices in the mail
shortly.

I hope this event becomes an valuable learning experience for the
Ethereum community and wish you all the best of luck.

Yours truly,
"The Attacker"
===== END SIGNED MESSAGE =====

Message Hash (Keccak):
0xaf9e302a664122389d17ee0fa4394d0c24c33236143c1f26faed97ebbd017d0e

Signature:
0x5f91152a2382b4acfdbfe8ad3c6c8cde45f73f6147d39b072c81637fe81006061603908f692dc15a1b6ead217785cf5e07fb496708d129645f3370a28922136a32