nettime's_dumpster_diver on Wed, 6 Jul 2016 20:35:01 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> hacking 4 Whisteblowing digest [x2: byfield, coleman]

Re: <nettime> What were the first instances of hacking 4

     "t byfield" <tbyfield@panix.com>
     "Gabriella \"Biella\" Coleman" <enid.coleman@mcgill.ca>

From: "t byfield" <tbyfield@panix.com>
Subject: Re: <nettime> What were the first instances of hacking 4
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2016 13:33:40 -0400

Funny that your first message begins "I am writing a piece that is
trying to historicize direct action hacking/whistel blowing" and your
second begins "I am not looking to historicize the phrase or word
whistleblowing or leak." :^) Of course I understand that there are (said
to be) differences between words and things, and that there are
different gradations of what it can mean to historicize a subject, if
only for the practical goal of narrowing the scope of an argument.

I think you'd probably agree that one of the central themes in
whistleblowing and leaks, even defined in strictly 'technical' terms, is
the tension between what is and/or should be public. Those definitions
have been changing with whiplash-inducing speed because of new
technologies, shifts in governance techniques, the rise of intellectual
property, etc -- the various fields within which whistleblowing and
leaks are often technically defined. So one danger of *dehistoricizing*
these kinds of actions is that it tends to accept as a given the
'technical' apparatus (technological, legal, political) that treats
these transfers of knowledge as a private crime rather than a public
service -- which is the often the kind of broad belief that drives the
messengers. (Obviously, I'm not suggesting your work has had that effect
-- if anything, it's the opposite.)

But there isn't a neat distinction between big-H Historicizing and
little-h historicizing. Activists like Erin Brockovich or Karen Silkwood
probably meet most of your definitions, and Mordechai Vanunu probably
does too If you look through publications like 2600 and Phrack -- or,
before them, YIPL -- you'll find all kinds of liminal cases going back
30-40 years that are partly electronic/computery and partly not. Ditto
for many of the phreaks documented so brilliantly in Phil Lapsley's book
_Exploding the Phone_.

Cheers,

On 6 Jul 2016, at 11:41, Gabriella "Biella" Coleman wrote:

> Hi Ted,
>
> I am not looking to historicize the phrase or word whistleblowing or
> leak though that no doubt would be interesting :) Hope someone takes
> that on.
 <...>