mp on Sat, 9 Jul 2016 04:43:18 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> 'We need laws for cyberweapons'

Guardian writes:

"Alex Gibney on Stuxnet film Zero Days: 'We need laws for cyberweapons'

His latest documentary lays bare the story of the Stuxnet worm, a
groundbreaking virus jointly created by the US and Israel. Here the
acclaimed film-maker discusses the pervasive threat posed by this new
age of warfare" - from:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/jul/08/alex-gibney-zero-days-cyberweapons-stuxnet

The Guardian ends its review thus:

"Zero Days is a cold, two-hour, sky-is-falling case designed to make
everyone agree."

Well, I beg to differ. For some reason I saw this at the Berlinale and
was irritated by the journalistic ethics, or lack of same, with respect
to giving the viewers the impression that the (camouflaged) character
the film mostly turns on was a real person, only to reveal in the end
that it was an actor, whose lines were (quoting from memory) "... put
together from various interviews with people, who did not want to be
named...". Some of which, one was left to conspiratorially ponder, could
well have been planted by dark forces with ulterior motives.

Curiously the film also seemed to blame everything that went wrong on
Israel.

All in all, the film seemed to perform that sort of role that ZDF or BBC
does for the establishment: convey a certain message that the elite want
the ordinary people out there (that would be us) to have - and to argue
for more government control with things, more protocols of war, and,
essentially, a new war machine fashioned in the liberal way of politics.

The film was an unpleasant experience, as far as I am concerned.