Morlock Elloi on Sun, 24 Jul 2016 22:28:22 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> WG: Fwd: Re: Forms of decisionism

> I would like to push forward this idea: we will develope to be an
> automaton-society. Mashinery will do a more and more growing part of
> everything that has to be done to create good and sustainable living
> conditions for everyone.

This seems to be the case - human work is getting redundant (even today only, 10-15% need to work to supply everything, from machines to government and prostitution.)

Customization of production may increase the demand but is not likely to create jobs. That dream went away with "Internet will create jobs" meme - it's still the machines doing the work.

When most of the population has no 'work' to offer for exchange for machine-produced goods (food, water, medical assistance), several outcomes come to mind, sorted by decreasing probability:

- Excess 99% of population is eliminated, the rest live in some kind of pastoral libertarian clan-based paradise serviced by autonomous machines. This is where things seem to be pushed to by the top 0.00001% (brief nuclear war totally makes sense, they already have shelters and sex slaves). They are waiting for the fully autonomous machines so they can get rid of tech workers.

- Some yet unknown political force enforces model for societal participation that is not work-based. On the optimistic side it's basic income or similar, on the dark side it's jails & wildlife preserves. What is troubling is that most brainpower today is wasted on doomed attempts to create 'demand', so it's not clear where this option can come from. As Zizek said, we can imagine everything except the end of capitalism.

- We figure out how to colonize the outer space. Issues postponed for few thousand years.

- Extraterrestrials enforce money-less Star Trek utopia.

Take a pick.

> come up, who owns them. We will have to develope a kind of mashinery
> that is suitable to be owned by the public.(e.g. the mashinery of

Somehow, "we" getting to own the means of production didn't quite work in the last few hundred years. What is supposed to have changed?