Angela Mitropoulos on Mon, 14 Nov 2016 04:10:17 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> What is the meaning of Trump's victory?

   Dear Frederic, all,
   You are approaching this as if capitalism and racism are separate, and
   then asking me which is determinative. I think that's the wrong
   question. I've argued for a long time, and repeated that argument in
   the piece I linked to that, briefly put, a theory of capitalism that is
   not also a theory of racism and gender (and sexuality) is a very poor
   theory of capitalism. And vice versa.  I don't write about economics
   so much as oikonomia, because it breaks through the amnesia and myopia
   associated with 'economics.' The "Proliferating Limits" chapter in this
   might be of interest: http://www.minorcompositions.
   info/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/contractandcontagion-web.pdf
   Capital is capital, it pertains to surplus value etc. Race - indeed
   whiteness - is a form of value and a property - that's what race is,
   ultimately, purported to be a unique and heritable property. Gender and
   sexuality become fields of regulation or problematized because they are
   the means by which race is reproduced - that's why the alt-right are
   obsessed with 'cucks,' for instance. I don't see how these are not the
   same processes within the dynamic I refer to in that link above. If we
   begin by assuming that capitalism is not also race and not also gender
   and sexuality, then we are left with a narrative that centers
   whiteness, the waged worker, heterosexuality etc and takes these as the
   norm - a view so narrow that it bears little connection to reality, but
   serves a representational claim.
   I hope I've gone some way to answering your question.