Michael H Goldhaber on Sun, 11 Dec 2016 18:03:48 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Steven Levy: Joi Ito Explains Why Donald Trump Is Like

Almost a third of a century ago, I arranged a conference entitled "Technology for Meaningful Work". It was an attempt to come to grips with the claims that on the one hand, some work can give our lives meaning, and on the other that technology is especially suited to ending the necessity for boring, repetitive, and often demeaning work. I can't say the very bright people present, mostly with strong ties to the labor movement, were able to come up with much that might assure meaningfulness.

We generally want to have a sense that who we are and what we do is valued or will be, but, clearly, paid labor hardly can give us that sense in itself. On the contrary, receiving payment only on the condition of engaging in some hated activity can strip us of self-worth. People are often lauded for pursuing multiple terrible jobs out of love for their families, but surely, if conditions permitted, Thea could better express that love more directly....

Best,
Michael

Sent from my iPad