nettime's_mapmaker on Sat, 17 Dec 2016 04:12:45 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> BComu Global digest [jackson, hankwitz x2]

Re: <nettime> BComu Global: America needs a network of rebel cities to stand up to Trump

     Will Jackson <wcameronjackson@gmail.com>
     Molly Hankwitz <mollyhankwitz@gmail.com>

From: Will Jackson <wcameronjackson@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2016 22:44:31 +0000
Subject: Re: <nettime> BComu Global: America needs a network of rebel cities to stand up to Trump

   Thank you for this document Molly!
   I have a few questions:
   1. What do you make of the second-to-last resolution? Are they driving
   at a vision where economy alone underwrites emancipatory legislation?
   What happens to cities and towns with the same goals of unity and
   protection for the most vulnerable, albeit without a Silicon Valley?
   2a. To relate the above back to the first resolution, is this the
   beginning of Sanctuary Cities as economic/judicial tent poles for
   entire regions?
   2b. I wonder if we could begin to open up the definition of region â or
   more precisely regional politics. Very broadly, "forum" once designated
   a physical site for discussion, and a "community" was typically bounded
   geographically.* Could digital networks be the instrument of a
   non-local "regional" politics/economy?

   I'm now thinking of Evgeny Morozov's lecture on Silicon Valley as the
   de-facto welfare provider of the neo-liberal US... I don't think he had
   this in mind :0

   Lastly, I railed against many of my friends' affection for Sanders'
   economic-justice-is-all-you-need rhetoric. Perhaps this proves me wrong
   in a roundabout way. But even though Black Lives Matter to the gov't
   (rhetorically) when will their perspective inform the Valley?

   Anyways, bravo to the San Francisco board of supervisors, and thanks
   again Molly for this heartening, problematic, and altogether important
   document.

   Will
   Sent from a bar