Patrice Riemens on Tue, 3 Jan 2017 12:33:34 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> The Guardian's Summary of Julian Assange's Interview

On 2017-01-02 22:45, C.Robbins wrote:

> Without question the article on Assange was the epitomy of "bad
> journalism", "Fake news" or whatever trending tagline one wishes to
> assign to biased delivery of, and 24/7 consumption of propaganda
> ... and, yes, Ben Jacobs, accompanied by thousands of other
> "journalists", should be hung out to dry by his virtual thumbs.

Meanwhile, the Guardian has corrected the article on the two points
made by Greenwald:

This article was amended on 29 December 2016 to remove a sentence
in which it was asserted that Assange “has long had a close
relationship with the Putin regime”. A sentence was also amended
which paraphrased the interview, suggesting Assange said “there
was no need for Wikileaks to undertake a whistleblowing role in
Russia because of the open and competitive debate he claimed exists
there”. It has been amended to more directly describe the question
Assange was responding to when he spoke of Russia’s “many vibrant
publications”.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/dec/24/julian-assange-donald-trump-hillary-clinton-interview

But to me the most damning part is that The Guardian did not mention
that La Repubblica interview, to which it linked, was in English, on
that paper's site. I did click thru because I could have read it if
it had been in Italian, but most Guardian readers don't have that
knowledge, and thought they had to rely on The Guardian summary of it.
I assume it wasn't done on purpose, but it could well be a case of 'by
accident/default, but on purpose (Dutch loc. ;-)

The full interview _in English_ is here:

http://www.repubblica.it/esteri/2016/12/23/news/assange_wikileaks-154754000/