Morlock Elloi on Sat, 18 Feb 2017 00:39:59 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Ubik 2017

... During 1974 we who opposed the Nixon tyranny here exhausted
ourselves in forcing that tyranny out of office, only to discover, the
next year, that underneath it lay an even greater abuse of power and
threat to freedom: a secret police apparatus that had worked since the
forties, completely invisible in terms of its lawless acts against
Americans. In fact, something much like the police state that I depicted
in Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said has come to light, and really to
the astonishment of us all. I recall that back in the fifties, about
1953, two FBI agents came to visit me and asked me to spy on my wife,
who at that time was attending the University of California at Berkeley
and knew people -- students -- who were politically active. From then
on, the secret political police apparatus grew.

And yet it was a thrilling year in 1974 when we began to dislodge what
we thought was the tyranny... but then found the greater one, the
intelligence community one, which really we cannot dislodge. The
American people have lost the will to combat this tyranny; it has lasted
too long, and we are tired. I am tired. As the disclosures came about
the CIA and FBI, I could not believe them. What could I do? What could
anyone do? It was not a question of one particular evil president, but
all the presidents starting with Franklin Roosevelt: even our heroic
ones, such as Kennedy. Freedom won only a limited victory in August 1974
when Nixon was forced out of office; the political police apparatus
remains and will remain, and we cannot vote on this issue. I myself have
given up, as our newspapers say most Americans have, with a sense that
we are helpless. ...

Philip K Dick, "The Short, Happy Life of a Science Fiction Writer" (1976)