John Hopkins on Mon, 27 Feb 2017 07:44:12 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Armin Medosch talks Technopolitics (2010)

On 26/Feb/17 10:13, Patrice Riemens wrote:
Armin Medosch - Technopolitics

Uploaded on Dec 16, 2010
Brian Holmes symposium - The Artistic Device
Saturday 27 November 2010"

Sharing the experiences of many of you, I can recall numerous
encounters with Armin in Helsink, Riga, Vilnius, Berlin, London,
Linz, Hasselt, Amsterdam, and possibly elsewhere, back into the
mid-90s. Some good partying, dancing, and dialogue. Yes, a challenging
and idiosyncratic personality, but his extremely wry, dry, and
funny humor, his presence, his voice (powerful both sonically and
intellectually), and his generosity was a beautiful addition to the
many conclaves. Indeed, he was everywhere.

Thanks to the RIXC crew for being a perfect platform in the series
of Acoustic Space / Wave editions and exhibitions/meetings that have
Armin's fingerprints all over them.

I can't pin-point the last time I spent time with him f2f, I guess
in 2008 or so, in Netherlands or maybe in London. A raucous dinner
somewhere.

He was always to be counted on to turn in a well-considered and
passionate commentary when things on brico, spectre, nice, nettime,
new-media-curating, idc, and certainly other listservs turned sour or
so. In my email archive, I see 495 emails, and smile reading some of
them...

As a teacher, he had an instinctual gift to understand the degrees of
freedom necessary for learning to proceed. We shared our strategies
on how to deal with the institutional frameworks that tended to dull
true learning. Back in 2013 he sent me a packet of his (formal) class
descriptions (unfortunately, no notes, or other items). I'd be very
interested to hear any reminiscences from his former students. Clearly
we all learned from him.

I was looking around at items I have in my archive of correspandence
with Armin, links and materials he had sent me, and I am wondering if
anyone is attempting to collect any written/media traces that are in
danger of being lost -- I was reading his review of Pixelache from
2007 and there were several interviews he did, but those mp3 links
were dead... :-(

I do hope, along with the Stubnitz tapes that there will fall together
some of those network fragments. I'd be happy to collect and host
anything that folks find that cannot be preserved on some other
server...

Echoing Armin speaking about Robert Adrian's passing just 16 months
ago:

"we will always remember you well"

peace,

john