Ian Alan Paul on Sat, 8 Jul 2017 16:22:41 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> The alt-right and the death of counterculture

Thank you Brian for this post, and Lincoln for the elaboration and highlighting of some of the central problems Brian posed for us.

I want to respond to this in two ways, first by calling into the question the novelty of the present to some degree, and second by trying to map the dynamics / ruptures / discontinuities that are being discussed here.

First, while the alt-right is certainly adept at shaping particularly marginal currents of our discourse, I think it's a huge political mistake to overestimate their organizational power or historical significance. To push this claim even further, as distracting as Trump is, he's managed to accomplish very little since his election and the media-theorist/net-time focus on his persona as an avatar of the online alt-right is equally ineffectual. Trump's election seems to have proven not the power of the channers or the alt-right, but of the normative institutions of the state and their ability to corral and capture extra-state forces.

Meanwhile, the forces of the state which continue to proceed uninterrupted, organized as they are by disciplinary power and biometric governmentality, somehow drop off our collective radar entirely. Unfortunately, the alt-right has become a convenient distraction from the much more serious and urgent problems of mass incarceration, climate change, economic inequality, and perpetual war that are perhaps harder to theorize and develop political strategies around. This is all deserving of a much longer elaboration which I won't have time for here, but in short the point I would like the emphasize is that the crisis within which we live had already arrived long before Richard Spencer and Steve Bannon, and the contestational terrain remains determined not by the alt-right but by the largely continuous and uninterrupted forces of the police, banks, and prisons.

Second, if we want to start thinking through the forms of discontinuity which could possibly be opened in the present, then we have to in some way begin to formulate a response to Brian's important provocations:

"The question is not how to condemn the kids, but how to be an adult that anyone could possibly care about. How to create a transformative outlet for the raw energy of alienation? ... The only way to keep people from reacting to the chaos in a thousand erratic and dangerous ways is to find new social forms to replace those which have become irrelevant."

I think this is an impossible but necessary task. On the one hand, if the route forward were obvious or predictable to us, then the route certainly would have already been taken. And yet, on the other hand, if no such route is knowable by remains necessary, then how can we come to follow one? I apologize for framing the conjuncture we face in such a blandly abstract and philosophical way but I think this is the fundamental nature of the problem.

Absent of an orthodox Marxist determinism or an anarchist appeal to pure chaotic spontaneity, I think we must attend to the recent examples of significant historical uprisings to even be able to begin to map what remains possible in the present, and this is why focusing on the alt-right is nothing more than a red herring. Occupy Wall Street, the Arab Spring, Black Lives Matter, the Kurdish autonomous struggles, and the Spanish Municipal movements (and more) each require our attention, study, and theorizing, to see what "new social forms" they brought/bring into being and what political and material limits they confronted.

Perhaps I'm less cynical than Brian is about the longue durée of late-20th/early-21st century resistance movements. Certainly none of them have achieved what they set out to do in their most utopian aspirations, but they nonetheless continue to have effects and affects (look at Hamburg now as an example), the eventual consequences of which we cannot yet entirely know.

I'll end there, and I hope that these notes can expand the scope of the conversation at least partially.

Best,
   ~i