Felix Stalder on Tue, 3 Oct 2017 13:17:24 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Barcelona: nationalism, municipalism?

I think this is much more than identity politics, beyond the point that
all politics that aim at a certain broad, popular support, are also
about identity. That is, they need to address the questions of who are
"we" and what directions should "our" collective efforts should take.

Several outcomes are possible. Catalan independence (irrespective of
whether this "nation" will also gets is own "state") could either point
beyond the nation state, helping to imagine the new Europe of Regions,
as Ulrike Guérot does not tired to advocate, or it could turn into just
another enclave protecting its supposedly homogeneous identity.

There is always a danger of the latter outcome (which, to a certain
degree is what happened to Quebec nationalism in the 1990s), but it's
not preordained.

What's the sense of nettimers in Barcelona? If this an opening, or a
closure?

Felix