David Garcia on Wed, 4 Oct 2017 11:59:47 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> New "thought rhythms'

New "thought rhythms'- announce the fact that Rock (including Punk) is dead.

The old rhymes of largely white indy (largely white) guitar bands superseded by Hip Hop and Grime..
As my kids grow up I realise that though I can hear that the UK movement Grime and US Hip Hop
are powerful .. on some level honestly.. deep in my bones.. I just don't get it yet. I'm stuck in the past.

This sensation was summed up in recent essay by Martin Amis who asserts that it is natural that older
writers should find younger writers irritating because younger writers are sending them an un-welcome message ..
they are saying its not like that anymore its like this”.. he goes on that in the present context “that and this” can be
loosely described as the –thought rhythms- peculiar to the time-.. I love the term "thought rhythms".. It crystallises
what we respond to in writing and indeed any art form. As implicit in the "thought rhythms” peculiar to any era are the
distinctive values, moral, social and aesthetic.. And is it too pessimistic for me to feel that when they move on they
move on they leave previous generations floundering or worse still faking an appreciation they don't actually feel.

Don’t try to dig what we all s-s-say.