Eric Kluitenberg on Sat, 9 Dec 2017 14:39:36 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Locating ArtScience

Thank you Florian for these further comments and your problematisation of the concept of ArtScience.

The extended lineages of ArtScience I’m overly familiar with and I deliberately tried to avoid them in this text so as to develop a slightly more ‘fresh’ perspective’ - I’ve been reading Leonardo since my student days (i.e. back in the 1980s), though less in recent years, and have always been amazed by the presence of really good and really terribly bad texts and works there - never managed to wrap my head around that entirely.

ArtScience as affirmative techno-spectacle is a real risk, or maybe even more than that an already existing condition as also Steve has pointed out here. So, there is an obvious need to get beyond that and Brian has made clear where the urgency lies in this.

However, critical making, as much as I appreciate the initiative, will not be able to deliver what Brian is rightfully calling for. What is needed is a broad synthetic perspective that can anchor itself in specific practices. This requires at the very least grounded research, critical theory, and sophisticated forms of ‘making’ if we follow that term (i.e. critical making?).

And when I write ‘research’ I mean all the different forms of research, in the arts as well as the sciences (and other domains, including non-professional ones - see in praise of amateurism), and when I write ‘arts’ I mean all the arts, and when I write sciences I mean all the sciences, i.e. the so-called hard sciences, humanities, but also social sciences). Nobody and no practice can contain such a scope - that’s clear, so how this becomes specific is through this idea of creating specific intersections. Every project / work coming out of this creates new and specific intersections between these different ‘fields’. What emerges is a hybrid practice that cuts through these existing fields, but every time in a highly specific / singular manner - you could call this a ‘mathesis singularis’, borrowing from Barthes (Camera Lucida), as opposed to the mathesis universalis of the so-called hard sciences.

Inevitably then subjectivity takes a central position in such a praxis, along with all its inherent problems - this is a ‘methodological stance’ we know from the arts, yet is inadmissible in the sciences. For this to become political it needs to be translated into a collective practice, and this is where what Brian is calling for (the triad of art / science / politics) clearly transcends the current frame of ArtScience. So the question is what this would translate into?

bests,
Eric