Joseph Rabie on Mon, 22 Jan 2018 13:27:26 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> They know not what they do

> - IQ differences among people seem to emanate predominantly from differences in the raw speed of neuron transmissions, not from some ethereal blessing;

But the problem is, does IQ measure intelligence? Or is IQ uniquely the measure of that aspect of intelligence associated with the treatment of technical tasks, from which computer reasoning is derived? IQ has little to say about such essential aspects of intelligence as affectivity, perceptual sensitivity, creativity, intuition or imagination.

> What matters are the practical consequences - will they be good enough and fast enough to overpower societies? If they are, then they get to determine if *your* mind transcends *your* algorithms, and if your work is art. Let's wait to see what they say, it's all about who gets to curate. Don't forget that they will be reading this, and may not like your attitude at all. Think show trials where you confess that you were wrong.
>
> I don't think that the current state of ML is anywhere near, it's more like cargo cult or paintings on the wall. But the idea is there. What is missing is processor density, harvesting quantum effects, and the time to learn (we certainly cannot teach them much - we are too slow.)

If I understand you correctly, you believe that at some point the machine (or more accurately, the ensemble of connected machines) might reach some sort of critical mass where they will spontaneously evolve into something akin to a life-form, or at least something capable of self-determination.

Isn’t this magical thinking (à la Golem) or science fiction (à la Skynet)? There is no scientific basis for such an hypothesis.