Patrice Riemens on Wed, 7 Feb 2018 18:47:44 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> How do we govern ourselves? (was: Mechanical Turkish)

Aloha,

On Fri, Feb 02, 2018 at 07:32:33AM -0600, Blake Stimson wrote:

> The core question of a democratic society is not "how do I become free?"
> > Rather it is "how do we govern ourselves?" Crucially that means: with which
> > institutions, under which rules, backed by which constraints [and, I would
> > add, which power]? If you do not answer these questions - as the entire
> > anarcho-libertarian spectrum including myself did not, throughout the
> > neoliberal period - well, then it turns out that others, like the Koch
> > brothers or Cambridge Analytica, will attempt to answer it for you.

I read a nice statement in a recent Guardian op-ed attacking a Brexit
supporter and funder who bought himself a Maltese (EU) passport
(available very officially for £800K) just to be on the safe side.
"Freedom is easy to be had, but it's just not for free". Gives a nice
twist to RMS's "as in freedom, not as in free beer".

Greeetz from AZERTYstan (Bruksel), p+2D!

PS I seem to remember reading that Bruno Latour once started a lecture
(in the UK) with the pronouncement that Margaret Thatcher was the
greatest sociologist of all - he was joking oeuf corse ....