Richard Lowenberg on Wed, 14 Feb 2018 11:11:49 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> FW: John Barlow, Debbie and Me (plus Nettime)

Mark's e-note provoked me to respond here, briefly. John was a friend,
as he was to many. We interacted and visited occasionally over many
years. He was a unique, clear-minded, poetic advocate of healthy
networked societies.

I also spoke at the Aspen conference described below (on early rural
networking). I have repeatedly told the story of John, seated next
to Stewart Brand, coming up to the podium, standing silent for a
moment, looking out over the gathered attendees and then, referring
to the PFFers, saying: "Oh, another group of middle-aged, over-weight
white guys who can't dance". Silence and snickers. He then gave one
of his usual creatively insightful presentation talks (for a Montana
cattle-ranching Republican).

He suffered personal losses and was not well in recent years.
He is missed.
RL