Jonathan Marshall on Sun, 18 Mar 2018 22:53:42 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Troll factories in some shitty St Petersburg office?

Eric writes:

"Naw. Neoliberalism is not really an institution-conceived and -directed thing like you seem to think. To the extent that the term usefully describes anything, it would apply to a more or less improvised set of policy and political responses to both the economic downturn of 1973-82 and worldwide resistance and refusal. "

I'd say some of the players were institutions, and those institutions were connected to other institutions, and sources of income. And they promoted ideas and solutions and panics that were attractive to other institutions and players. They worked together, and tried to win influence, even if it was on an adhoc and somewhat fragmented basis.

"I know apres Harvey the left thing to do is draw a straight line from the Chicago School to Chile et al., as if all 'ruling elites' had to do was devise a program and administer it on the world. But that's bad history as well as bad theory and is closer to rightwing conspiricizing ("inter-elite conflicts") than Marxist analysis."

The history seems to be good, as far as I can see, and there is nothing in Marxist analysis which says that sections of the ruling elites cannot conspire together to attempt to reinforce their power (that supposedly is the role of the State) - they probably won't remove the inner contradictions of capital, even if they want to, but they have options, and they can strike against those they consider their enemies. Class struggle is a struggle, and the struggle is political and ideological, not a simple and inevitable 'plain-sailing' dialectical movement to revolution.

"Just as the intellectual/philosophical reasonings behind neoliberalism came only after their policy tenets were implemented, so left conjunctural analysis tails popular movement, but usually does it poorly and misses the point."

Not sure this is good history either, as far as I can see the ideology of neoliberalism developed as it won financing, won institutional struggles in universities and think tanks, and won political sway through capturing politicians, corporations and reactionaries. This is also what we might expect from a theory of praxis. It develops, it is not born completely well thought out.

"It is remarkable, though, that you can write mellifluously about Russia and Trump and psy-ops etc., but end up not having a single word to say about the fact that the fascist US president and his coterie are working on many fronts with the Russian state and its offshoots on reviving a pan-Western traditionalism that is racist, sexist, antiqueer, and eugenicist. That stuff is less sexy than brainwashing is, but it hits people where they live and comprises the actual content that's being whispered into people's ears."

I agree, that these formulations seem to arise from institutions working in tandem towards similar aims, through a "conspiratorial" control and promotion of information. In both cases it distracts from the actual policies, and it would probably be wrong to think this hostile identity politics is accidental, coincidental or less important.

jon