tbyfield on Mon, 26 Mar 2018 18:37:50 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> China needs more water. So it's building a rain-making network three times the size of Spain

'Three times the size of' is the new black — like the GPGP, the cryptic-alliteratively acronymed Great Pacific Garbage Patch that, it was recently reported, is three times the size of France and is growing at an 'exponential' rate. Of course, if a scientist claimed that *France* is growing at that rate, s/he would be drummed out of the corps(e). Externalities can grow at such a rate but what we could retronymically call 'internalities' can't. That predicament lies at the heart of most discourses that are, or are inspired by, environmentalism — which is to say, most discourses at this point.

I ranted about this in a non-threaded thread on twitter, in response to another thread that Morlock pointed out here, François Chollet's take on algorithms:

		https://twitter.com/tbfld/status/976850523562356741