Patrice Riemens on Tue, 27 Mar 2018 17:55:18 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Uber Blues

re: <https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/26/opinion/leadership-uber-business-model.html>
(pdf available on request)

The company is unreformable because its 'disruptive' business model sucks from A to Z & back again.

Uber & clones should simply be outlawed. No compromise.

Last in Marseille, back from dinner at R's, one of the guests booked a Uber car. There was still one seat left, so I joined, my first Uber ride. Nice guy, nice car. It was around 11pm, and the ride was not very long, but quite complicated (Marseille is part very hilly, with tortuous, badly maintained streets) We were unloaded downtown, near the hotel and I asked what I my share of the ride was. This was waived away with a laughter since it was only €6 - exactly 3 busfares (save that buses don't run anymore at that time of day).

This is completely ludicrous.

And it was my first, but also last Uber ride. I'd rather walk. No compromise.