John Perry Barlow on Tue, 9 Jan 96 08:10 MET

Re: The Disappearance of Public Space on the Net

At 12:51 AM 1/8/96, Jason Wehling wrote:
>On Sun, 7 Jan 1996, John Perry Barlow wrote:

>I have a couple questions and comments about this. First, I am currently
>doing research on a book I'm working on about the Internet as a tool for
>political activism. Part of the work I have done is looking for control
>of the Net. And what I've found doesn't look pretty.

You mean you have actually found points of broad control of the Net? If so,
I need to hear about them, since my job is to assure that they don't exist.
But I'm not finding any myself. Many aspire but few are capable.

>First of all, there has been a lot of talk about privatizing the Net.
>>From what I can gather, this is primarily focused on the backbone of the
>Net.

The Net is not a vertibrate. There is no "backbone of the Net," and hasn't
been since the mid-80's. There are many backbones, most of them private,
some not-for-profit, some academic coalitions.

>This talk started many years ago, but two papers seem to me to be most
>important. First, was a memo entitled "Commercialization of the
>Internet", published in November 1990. It was a summary of a workshop
>with participants that included: Merit, RAND Corporation, NSF, AT&T, the
>U.S. Dept of Commerce, Bellcore, Digital Equipment, MCI, IBM and a number
>of Universities.

This workshop was a convening point for the now dead ANS network that I
referred to earlier. Among its conveners, only Merit and MCI remain still
credible players in building the Net. The best thing which came out of the
workshop, in which I was involved, was beginning the effort to rescind the
official ban on commerical traffic over the Net (which had, of course, been
taking place unofficially since the beginning.)

>   ANd second is the NII Agenda for Action that calls for
>the privatization of the Net. This has already begun.

Indeed it is complete.

>NSFnet was decommissioned back in late April, 1995. Instead of one
>federally funded backbone, there are currently four, private backbones,
>the coordinated by four regional NAPs (Network Access Points). From what I
>understand, these four:
>the New York NAP run by Sprint, the Chicago NAP run by Ameritech, the
>California NAP run by Pacbell and Bellcore and the Washington DC NAP run
>by MFS (Metropolitan Fiber Systems) are, in fact, megacorporations.

We seem to disagree on the basic architecture of the Net. Any of the
sub-NAP's can communicate directly with one another over other channels.
What about Alternet? What about Wiltel? What about Merit. I would also
question whether MFS is a megacorporation.

>Currently, NSF awarded the new vBNS (Very-High-Speed Backbone Network
>Service) program to MCI. Together NSF and MCI will be building a new
>backbone that is faster (155M/sec and later to 622M/sec) than the current
>T3 lines and would be exclusively used for high-volume research activities.

And it will be so bound up in federal bureaucracy that it will almost
impossible to get a packet over it. I watched its prototype, the so-called
I-Way, attempting to serve the recent National Supercomputing Conference in
San Diego. It was a total mess.

>MCI is also a megacorporation.

Ok. So, should they not be involved in packet transport? Who should build
the Net? Are governments somehow more trustworthy.

>Secondly, I'm curious about the demise of ANS. I hadn't read that before.
>Where can I get information about that? I'm curious about the details.
>Also, what happened to the for-profit wing of ANS: ANS CO+RE? Is that
>still around and what does it do if it is?

I don't know that I'd be qualified to give you the details, but I can
probably point you the right way. Steve Wolff would be good. I believe that
CO+RE is also dead. Indeed, I'm not sure it was ever alive in any
functional way.

>It seems to me to be obvious that the Net is moving away from it's
>somewhat chaotic, but nevertheless centralized and public backbone of NSF
>to a more decentralized, but nonetheless private backbone of the Regional
>Bells and Long-distance providers.

I don't think so. It looks to me as if MCI and Sprint are playing a much
larger role than the RBOC's. But again, we're just talking about the
American Net, which is important to remember.

Yrs,

John Perry

John Perry Barlow, Cognitive Dissident
Co-Founder, Electronic Frontier Foundation

Home(stead) Page: http://www.eff.org/~barlow

Message Service: 800/634-3542

Barlow in Meatspace Today: San Francisco, Phoenix Hotel: 415/776-1380

Coming soon to: Pinedale 1/12-17, Amsterdam 1/18-19, Budapest 1/20-23, Palm
Springs 1/24-26, Minneapolis 1/27-28, Chicago 1/29, New York 1/29-31,
Davos, Switzerland 2/1-4, Amsterdam? 2/4-9, Cannes 2/9-12

In Memoriam, Dr. Cynthia Horner and Jerry Garcia

It is not necessary that you leave the house. Remain at your table and
listen. Do not even listen, only wait. Do not even wait, be wholly still
and alone. The world will present itself to you for its unmasking, it can
do no other, in ecstasy it will writhe at your feet.