Bruce Sterling (by way of Pit Schultz <pit@contrib.de>) on Sat, 5 Oct 96 23:15 MET

nettime: Interview

Bruce Sterling

Denise Caruso interviews Bruce Sterling for "The Site" on
MSNBC September 1996, Berkeley CA

To call Bruce Sterling a science fiction writer is a little like
calling Leonardo da Vinci a draftsman.  Sterling is one of the
most prolific and influential writers and thinkers in the
digital world.  Whether challenging the concept of
intellectual property or riffing on the collisions of
technology and pop culture, he's a whirlwind of ideas and
black humor.  From his cyberpunk novels to his
genre-breaking Dead Media Project on the Net, Sterling's
fingerprints are all over the new world culture.

His latest novel, Holy Fire, is set in a 21st century where
elderly medical technologists are the ruling class and where
death shall have no dominion--for those who can afford the
technology to stave it off.  It's a wicked romp through a
future of hypermediated experiences where talking dogs host
talk shows and youth isn't wasted on the young.

Site Contributing Editor Denise Caruso caught up with
Sterling at Dark Carnival Books in Berkeley for a wild
interview that we present here in its unexpurgated form.
We also have the Official Sterling Cyberpunk Reading
List.

Q: Let's talk about cyberpunk first. This is a genre of
science fiction that maybe a lot of people don't know
exactly what it is.  What's your definition of
cyberpunk?

A: I don't really have one anymore.  I think we've
subsumed everything in sight.  We devour everything
we touch.  And if you don't know by now, you really
shouldn't mess with it.

Q: Oh come on, Bruce.  Give me a clue.

A: Well, you can't walk around San Francisco very
often without seeing a lot of this.  I don't know, I
always felt "cyberpunk" was a lot like "science fiction,"
because it's a contradiction in terms.  I mean, how can a
"punk" be "cyber?"   How can somebody who's a real
techie, how can they not be a geek?  How can they
really be hip?  And into pop culture?   It's physically
impossible, isn't it?   What about science fiction?  How
can "fiction" be "science?"  How can "science" be "fiction?"
I mean, science is a method, an experimental method
with verifiable results to establish.

Q: Yeah, but there's this whole group of people who
when they started reading your books and Gibson's
books had this like, come-to-Jesus experience where
they thought, "Somebody finally understands who I am."
So what is that? Is that the people who are coming out
of this Internet, computer, geekie world, that's so
heavily mediated that they know a lot about pop
culture too?

A: Well, I know computer geeks like to think that
there's never been anybody like them before.  This is
like part of their internal legendry.  But really, they're
a lot like radio experimenters in the 1920's.  Like the
American Amateur Radio Relay League.  That's the
milieu that science fiction actually came out of.  It was
fiction for radio experimenters.  So you know,
cyberpunk is like fiction for guys with laptops.
We're into computers and media the way
earlier generations were into robots or rocketships.

Q: So how did you get into writing science fiction?
How long ago did you start writing it?