Reclaim Authenticity on Wed, 23 Oct 96 17:30 MET

nettime: WHO WANTS UNSELLABLE TRASH?

WHO WANTS UNSELLABLE TRASH?

The past 3 years have seen a huge struggle against the upsurge of uncommodifable
art. But the spectre of the non-authorship still haunts us. It poisons our
galleries, demolishes markets and cliques, buries our profits beneath a tide of
reproduction and fakes. Increased freedom for those behind the computer means
more of us dead under the printer. The play-zone on the outside offers no profit
to those stranded in the private cosy comfort on the inside.

In 1994, 90% of artists made their own work - now the figure is 9%. The others
plagarise and rewrite others texts. It's too dangerous to sell anything anymore -
because of inauthenticity. Writers pump out non-investable texts, threatening the
very existence of life in the market. Is this the art world we want? Do we want
more wars over originality, indigenous publishers bankrupt and their copyright
portfolios decimated, just to fuel the engine of "intellectual growth"?

ANTI-COPYWRITE DISEASE is not terminal - the antidote is in our hands!

Markets can be places where investers play, the successful watch the world go by,
dealers meet - in short, a place of investment. In the modern anti-market people
hurtle past creating works, without regard to ownership. The madness of gift
replaces the intelligence of greed. Reclaiming Authenticity is not just about
destroying fakes . It is about rediscovering the profits of life without them.

Do you dream of a time where bankrupt gallerists regain their turnover to join in
the boom party? Where artist that sign their work are not isolated diehards, but
a force to be reckoned with? Where painting isn't something happening on the
subway wall, but an art prusued in the studio? Where achievement is not marked
not numbers of altered works but by signed orginals? Where no art work stands
less than a century, computer reproduction is outlawed and forgers are sent to
gaol - if they can be found ? Where politics is not a spark of rebellion from below
but a steady drip drip of control from above ?

RECLAIM AUTHENTICITY!

Reclaim Authenticity! is a direct action network committed to ending the madness
of free creativity. We are FOR painting, authorship and trustworthy (original!)
signing of works, and AGAINST net art, plagarists and the uninvested interests
they serve. We are not a send-a-donation / get-the-mag / sit-in-your armchair
organisation. We are about getting involved and changing things through our own
actions.

If you are interested in taking part in our activities send us your name and
address for our mailing list.

Reclaim Authenticity <ra@rca.ac.uk>