stalk on Mon, 20 Jan 97 04:11 MET

nettime: sTALK

STALK[3]
Ella Gibbs of belt > * < Alexei Shulgin of the Moscow wwwArt Centre

Monday 27th January 1997
@       7:30pm
@       Backspace, Winchester Wharf, Clink Street, London SE1

Menu:
BLOCKED REPRESENTATION > Immersion and Projection

"I do wish we could be more we.
A place to meet. New understanding.
Is our perception making up the world?
[how] DO we separate parts of our life?"

Ella Gibbs, belt:
Not a traditional exhibition / performance space
nor for formal lecture / workshop situations.
The interest is in blurring of boundaries and definitions,
what lies between different disciplines,
between work and audience

ALEXEI SHULGIN:
shifting curating from representation of representation
to new forms of creative action, based on communication.
The political conflict between the two approaches.
Approaching the highest possible level of art/life uncertainty
Curator,
as artist ,
as communicator.

Moscow wwwArt Centre:
translation of Russian underground (= mainstream) art onto
the Internet;
creating new and reshuffling contexts;
being on the frontier of art and everything else;
others..... unmentionable.
Are [new][net] art institutions possible?

**************** ***************** ***************** ****************

STALK[4]
Mugger Music by Manchester's LOADING DECK

Monday 3rd February 1997
@       7:30pm
@       Backspace, Winchester Wharf, Clink Street, London SE1

Menu:
DUMPED REPRESENTATION > Inverted Site-specificity.

Mugger Music:   a time-based multiple by Nick Crowe, Jane Gant, Graham
Parker and Ian Rawlinson, presented in May 1995.
Form:           a series of walks and "walks" over a continuous 24 hour
period through Manchester following the course of Manchester's polluted and
largely invisible River Medlock
Performer (1) leading audience (1) through the immense complexity of a city
unfolding before them.
Audience (1) stalking performer (1) ?....................

The Loading Deck bring an uncertain edge to both the space and time frames
that characterise a variety of contexts that make up the end of century
urban warren.
Further performances of Mugger Music are scheduled for Lower Manhattan in
June 1997.

**************** ***************** ***************** ****************

STALK: experimental curating for the late nineties

>a forum to backtrack and re-examine independent work using documentation.
>focus on work to project new ideas, ideas to project new work.
>live discussions through transnational internet linkups
>experiment and integrate curatorial agendas with new technology

Tickets £2.50  Limited numbers; early booking advisable for guaranteed
admission.
Contact STALK at:

email   stalk@backspace.org
tel     +44 171 234 0804    between 2pm and 6pm
fax     +44 171 704 6834
@       Backspace, Winchester Wharf, Clink Street, London SE1

Pilot Programme:
*LAUNCH*- - 25th November       Backspace
                        2nd December    Mute
                        16th December   Backspace
                        5th January     Mute
                        27th January    Backspace