MediaFilter on Sun, 26 Jan 97 01:01 MET

nettime: autono.net free domain names and server space for nettime people

Hello All in net.time....

in the course of development and in support of free media
and open content on the net, I hereby offer free names
under the autono.net. domain, served to ANY location
on the internet.

For now, this will not be automated, but submissions for
yourname.autono.net are now being accepted via email.

For those without access to web server resources,
or who would like to set up a virtual domain (softhome)
or quasi-virtual domain (switchboard) please contact me
and send me your pgp key.  My pgp key is included at the
foot of this message for those who wish to set up an ftp
login where you can upload your files to the autono.net
server.

Do NOT send your login and password in cleartext!
Those who do will be ignored.
(it's not cool to compromise security on the server
or compromise the integrity of your work by spoofers).

Please DO send your desired username and password in
pgp encrypted text!  Use the public key at the foot of this
message to encrypt your info, and mail it back to
mf@mediafilter.org

Few restrictions apply to the use of the autono.net server,
but there are the following things to consider:

        No commercial usage.

        Please limit your size and amount of graphics on your pages
        so each page is no more than a total of 100k.

        Disk space is imited to 5Mb per user.

        Artistic and literary content preferred.
        If you have other server resources, please do not use
        the autono.net server so it can be available for those
        without server resources.

        Special projects, of course will be considered.

For those wishing to participate with content in the
black.hole, please feel free to register a name in
name.space.  If you do so, as long as the name you wish
to register is non-commercial, please notify me and I will
permanently waive all billing.  Presently, all name registrations
are free.  All registrations in the free.zone will always be
free.  If you wish to register a name in the free.zone,
please go to the name.space website and use the automated
form.

If you wish to use a combination of yourname.free.zone and
yourname.autono.net and a softhome or switchboard page, please
contact me and I will configure it for you.

The server at mediafilter.org and autono.net. has just been
upgraded to a high performance machine.  You should notice
a significant improvement in the transfer time.  In the
next month we will be upgrading from our present 56K line
to a full 1.5 Mb clear channel into the backbone of digex.net.
this bandwidth upgrade will also significantly improve performance.

Support for this effort is provided by myself personally.
No grants or corporate sponsorship is involved.  This is
a totally unaffiliated private effort paid for from my own
earned income, earned through my work and from the exhibitions of
my artworks.  Future support for this and other network
related support for free access will come from revenues
generated from the name.space project, once it becomes
universal.  Your participation is critical to this future.

Please send all questions and comments to me at this address.
There will soon be a web page for net.time members on how to
set up all of this if you don't have the know-how. We are working
on an automated do-it-yourself web page maker and your feedback
is appreciated to aid us in making the process as friendly as
possible.

For now, please feel free to contact me and I will help you
work out your needs.

Looking forward to your participation and your comments.

Best wishes,

Paul Garrin
mediafilter.org         http://mediafilter.org
name.space              http://autono.net