Matthew Smith on Tue, 28 Jan 97 18:09 MET

nettime: funny things...

highNETtimers

i just opened my mailbox, and it contained my daily ration of intellectual
nettime spam;) which isnt special - but todays combination is interesting:

first a little interview with Frau Marquart discussing her law-suit and its
political implications. (censorship of "radikal">, and the next message
containing a message from Mr. Chapman about censorship of the net in china
by establishing a China Wide Web.

what came 2 my mind was a fragment of a dialogue which was exchanged between
a high german official (very high, but i cant remember who exactly) and a high
chinese official (sorry, forgot his name aswell) in which the german guy
said, in his own words ofcourse:

"Every christian has 2 accept the Human Rights Act as a logical and natural
thing..."

2 which the chinese dude replied:

"we rnt christians..."

somehow i (of european/Namerican descent) cant identify myself with the
chinese repression, and i also am appalled by the thought of ppl working them
selves 2 death in labour camps and emotionally think every bad guys ass ought
2 be kicked - but i just cant see anybody in our western world who would be
appropriatly "good" enough 2 do this.
especially when i think of the embarrassing campaign that the german government
has intiated against "radikal" & scientology. but also the United States, which
call themselves the "Country of the Free, and Home of the Brave", seem highly
unsuitable 4 the role of a "world police". i just cant see the legitimation
of a country that is so highly involved in its own major fuckups, which has
over 8million ppl living in its streets, which has a murder rate that is
higher than ANY other country in the world and ppl leaving its schools without
being able 2 read. maybe the USA rnt a political prison, but as Ice-T already
pointed out a few years ago, the Establishment has successfully installed
something he calls an "Economical Prison".

maybe also its intellectuals should sobre up and face the fact that the USA is
on the brink of becoming exactly that what it pretends 2 be fighting.
in the same extent that asia is becoming THE market of the world, the USA is
turning into a part of the "third world".

ready to take my beating for this polemic...;)