Susie Ramsay (by way of Pit Schultz <pit@icf.de>) on Tue, 13 May 1997 00:14:05 +0200 (MET DST)

<nettime> re: As Above, [So Below] - Critical Art Ensemble

>Hence, not only are sexuality and reproduction practically separated, but so
>are the parents. This way, reproduction better conforms to the capitalist
>necessity of efficiency: No useless activity occurs in the reproductive
>process, and less genetic material is wasted. Excess genetic material is
>reconfigured into a substance for commodified process, as opposed to
>becoming one of nonrational potential. In this manner, the reproductive
>process becomes practically reclassified as a purely medical process.

Below]", I just wanted to add a couple of thoughts relevent to the strategy
outlined of "separating sexuality from reproduction/creation": namely the
controversy concerning the rights of a foetus and determining when life
begins. The successful(?) campaign by anti-abortion groups to separate the
image of the human foetus from the context of the womb and a woman's body
(thanks in part to medical science's advanced visualization techniques as well
as those little plastic foetus dolls) is another strategy which effectively
prepares us to accept the idea of reproduction as potentially "a purely
medical process". This visual separation of the foetus from the womb, even in
the earliest stages of gestation, trains us to conceive of the possibility of
the foetus as an individual capable of living outside the womb. Not to mention
the fact that we feel impelled by our dualistic thinking tradition and by
legal questions to try to determine if and when during childbearing does one
person (mother carrying child) become two persons. Good luck!

And following the logic of capitalism's need for increased efficiency, the
whole process of childbearing could possibly be completely separated from both
male and female bodies. (hey, no more workers getting maternity leave to worry
about!) Premature babies are being saved earlier and earlier (saving premature
babies weighing no more than 1/4 pound is standard practice in North America
and I believe that minimum is about to decrease) and as detailed in the CAE
text, fertilization techniques replace the need for physical contact between
two people. As medical science's intervention in the reproductive process is
coming from both ends, a scenario when the entire process from conception to
delivery will be separated not only from the sexual act but from that
old-fashioned baby-in-a-woman's-womb method, is getting easier to imagine.

Needless to say, the non-separation of capitalism and cristianity continues to
be an effective method of social control. I can't help but think that
strategic separations (sexuality from reproduction, mother from father, foetus
from mother) go hand in hand quite nicely with the market's  disproportional
emphasis on the need to achieve total physical separateness and psychlogical
individuality (the "freedom" of being separated from everyone else requires
that you spend more). Divide and conquer? And then there's that other scary
combo (in NA anyway) of puritanism and pop psychology waging war on
"dependency", emotional and otherwise, and the invention of both "addictions"
and "12-step programs". But that's another can of worms. As a closing
question/thought, as much as we are seeing the material reality of these
strategic separations, perhaps what we don't we know about their consequences
is what we should be paying more attention to.

Saludos,
Susie Ramsay
100705.140@compuserve.com

---