Alan Julu Sondheim on Thu, 12 Jun 1997 19:16:47 +0200 (MET DST)

Re: <nettime> worlds without number

What is happening in Brooklyn isn't the result of internal dynamics so
much as external immigration; New York a few years ago started growing
again in populatino after a decline for decades. But there are now only
29% of low-skilled jobs compared to the 1960s, and this is creating a lot
of making-do. This isn't the traditional decay of the inner city which you
seem to cite, so much as new populations moving through Brooklyn - and I
recently heard a statistic that 75% of the US population has had close
relatives here at one pont or another.

There _are_ other changes occurring as well - about a year ago, SOHO
started to be called Silicon Alley, and hi tech has finally stumbled into
NY. In Brooklyn itself, a mall has opened up near me, and superstores are
somewhat replacing mom and pop stores. While this seems bad on the sur-
face, it's also creating employment overall.

I'd be careful, in other words, about using Brooklyn as a model without
taking into account the immigration/emigration dynamics as well.

Alan

---