Andrea Zapp on Mon, 7 Jul 1997 16:04:58 +0200 (MET DST)

<nettime> Call for contribution

Dear nettimers,

I informed you recently about the collaborative project I'm working on. The
project will now be shown at the Ars Electronica in Linz in September and
will only consist out of contributions world wide. Some of you are already
preparing their part and I'm very much looking forward to this. To motivate
others as well, I include the text and urls of the project info again.
Please feel free to add your episodes, anecdotes, images whatever you think
of or send me a mail if you have questions. The deadline for the Linz
Special is End of August (but you are invited to contribute afterwards as
well as the project carries on).
There will also be a special e-mail action during the festival, I'll keep
you informed on that.

Andrea Zapp

Call for contributions to a collaborative netproject as part of the ARS
ELECTRONICA Festival in Linz, September 1997
****

You - He - or She ? - identity and gender are unknown in this project and
they will vary. And so will all the different places. Once you decide to
tell us a story, we will be able to follow the traces...

*************"Last Entry: Bombay, 1st of July..."*************

is a collaborative documentary about a person, a flaneur in the cultural
space of the internet.

... Inspired by the novel "Orlando", written by Virginia Woolf in England
in 1928, that reads like a visionary metaphor on the internet, this is a
biography of a figure, traveling through time and space, centuries and
cultures. In "Orlando", kings and princesses, poets and lovers, war and
peace come and go. Carrying two souls in the chest, Orlando has to undergo
a cutting change in life, when he - all of a sudden turns into she, Lady
Orlando.

...Extending the adventures of Orlando in the network space and time, users
are requested to involve Orlando in their own stories and cultural
back-grounds and bring him (or her?) into contact with other people (or
themselves?).

So, Orlando's story mirrors the virtual space by establishing residence in
an artificial life, by stepping onto a stage, by slipping into identities
and virtual profiles in a networked community of realities and fictions.

The site is a travel log that will follow Orlando's further destiny and encoun-
ters driven by your input. Its interface will evolve in direct relation to
the future content. Because of this unpredictable web of episodes, the
project represents a patchwork story and narrative montage. A dynamic
network of personal experiences, memories and interventions, "Last Entry:
Bombay, 1st of July..." reflects on 'digital storytelling' as a cross
between anecdote and archetype, diary and legend.

Further information for your contributions/stories/visual ideas can be
found under

http://www.aec.at/disk/
or
http://www.fh-brandenburg.de/~zapp/lastentry/
.

Andrea Zapp
Hochschule fuer Film und Fernsehen (HFF) Babelsberg
e-mail. zapp@berlin.snafu.de
http://www.aec.at/disk/
http://www.uni-potsdam.de/u/scenario/index.html

---