Alan J Sondheim on Thu, 7 Aug 1997 10:15:09 +0200 (MET DST)

<nettime> Early Net History: Exchange Examples

--+-

INTERNET, EARLY HISTORY: EXCHANGE STYLE EXAMPLES FROM:

SCENARIOS FOR USING THE ARPANET AT THE INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON
COMPUTER COMMUNICATION

Washington, D.C.
October 24-26, 1972

NOTE (Alan Sondheim, 1997): It's clear that the sample dialogs, use of
Weizenbaum's Eliza program, etc., are the ancestors of today's expert
systems - but at this point in time, they were most likely read as in-
cipient artificial mind (classic AI). Already real and virtual subject-
ivities interpenetrate.

The quoted sections above are formatted close to the original.

(Thanks to Alex McKenzie and BBN.)

EARLY SAMPLE CONVERSATIONS ON BBN TENEX:

====

BBN TENEX === HOST #65

8. To link to the user at TTY7:

@ link [SP] 7 [CR]
LINK FROM ICCC, TTY 103
@ ;hello ray. [CR] _Messages over "link" should be preceded by semi-colon._
@ ;HELLO, WHO IS IT? _Questions and comments from TTY7._
@ ;this is abhay bhushan from mit, can you help me? [CR]
@ ;OF COURSE, HOW ARE YOU ABHAY?
@ ...... _Conversation continues._
@ ;nice talking to you. bye. [CR]
@ break [CR] _Break the "link", please._

====

BBN DOCTOR === HOST #69

3. To run DOCTOR:
@ run [SP] <hacks>doctor [CR}
BBN LISP-10 02-22-71
GOOD AFTERNOON.
TELL ME YOUR PROBLEMS.
PLEASE TERMINATE INPUT WITH A PERIOD OR QUESTION MARK.
* i have a big problem. _The user begins as in a psychiatric interview._
I AM NOT SURE I UNDERSTAND YOU FULLY. _The DOCTOR continues the interview
                                       in a lively fashion._
* my grandother has a gzorenplatz.
IS IT IMPORTANT TO YOU THAT YOUR GRANDMOTHER HAS A GZORENPLATZ?
 _Continue dialog as your spirit carries you._
* goodbye
IT'S BEEN MY PLEASURE, THAT'S $7.15 PLEASE.
NIL
<-

====

SCHOLAR ==== HOST #69

<- scholar() _After (possibly) looking at instructions, start the
              SCHOLAR dialog._

HELLO, MY NAME IS SCHOLAR. I WILL HELP YOU IN REVIEWING THE GEOGRAPHY OF
SOUTH AMERICA. THIS IS ABC REGIONAL HIGH SCHOOL. TODAY IS 24-OCT-72.

IF YOU HAVE CAREFULLY STUDIED YOUR INSTRUCTIONS, WE MAY BEGIN THE REVIEW
NOW.

WHEN YOU ARE READY TO START, TYPE READY --- REMEMBER TO TERMINATE EACH
LINE OF INPUT WITH AN ASTERISK * FOLLOWED BY A CARRIAGE RETURN.
* read* [CR] _Asterisk("*") is SCHOLAR's prompt character. You must,
              repeat MUST, terminate input to SCHOLAR with an asterisk
              ("*") and a carriage return before it will listen to you.
              Use control-a ("^A") to delete characters from your input
              line, i.e., the standard Tenex editing characters._
PLEASE TYPE YOUR NAME---MR., MISS, OR MRS. FOLLOWED BY FIRST NAME, MIDDLE
NAME OR MIDDLE INITIAL, AND LAST NAME.
* YOURNAME* [CR]
NAME OF YOUR INSTRUCTOR, PLEASE:
* warnock* [CR]
LET'S BEGIN OUR DISCUSSION NOW, "YOURNAME"
USE ONE OF THE FOLLOWING:
14400000
3600000
1200000
1800000
TO ANSWER THE QUESTION:
APPROX WHAT IS THE AREA OF BRAZIL?
* 14400000* [CR]
WRONG,
I'LL GIVE YOU ANOTHER CHANCE.
* 3600000* [CR]
VERY GOOD.
   _Continue your dialog as you wish. When tired, type control-c ("^C")
   to return to EXEC on logout.
^c

====

CONVERSATION ON UCLA SEX SYSTEM:

UCLA-NMC SIGMA-7 === HOST #1

5. To use the toy question answering program, TIMMY, type:
! TIMMY [CR]
002 TIMMY STARTED
MY NAME IS TIMMY THE TERMINAL, WHAT'S YOURS?
YOURNAME [CR]
PLEASED TO MEET YOU, YOURNAME   HAVE WE MET BEFORE?
NO [CR]
SORRY, BUT I HAVE A TERRIBLE MEMORY FOR NAMES. ANYWAY, MY JOB IS TO ANSWER
YOUR QUESTIONS SO, ASK AWAY.
WHEN WILL THIS COMPUTER CRASH NEXT? [CR]
ABOUT 5 O'CLOCK.
........   _Ask any number of your own questions of TIMMY._
GOODBY [CR] _Exit from TIMMY._