McKenzie Wark on Tue, 4 Nov 1997 20:55:46 +0100 (MET)

<nettime> The Virtual Republic

The Virtual Republic
a paper for the
Research Institute for the Humanities and Social Sciences
University of Sydney
by McKenzie Wark

"There is a witch hunt on United States campuses. Its not
being run by hard-left radicals hounding their conservative
opponents, as reported. It is the other way around.
Conservatives are accusing the left of being 'politically
correct', and PC is being used as an excuse to silence debate.
The US media have been only too happy to amplify such
charges. Australian media are beginning to pick up and
repeat these beat-ups without questioning the evidence."1

Questioning the evidence is what I went on to do, writing in
the Australian, back in 1992. Not that it did any good.
'Political correctness' became a key term in the 'culture wars'
of the 1990s, even figuring in the federal election campaign
of 1996.

Here was a first lesson in the way what some call the public
sphere, what I call the virtual republic, actually works. The
term 'political correctness' does not actually represent any
pre-existing state of affairs. Rather, it expresses a certain
configuration of the passions that only comes into effect after
the term circulates. What's more, it would be pointless for
me to try and represent to you what the term means, for it
has no necessary range of meaning. A search of a database of
trade journals reveals that the term has been applied to
everything from financial planning to shoes.

If I can't expose the gap between the representation (in this
instance 'political correctness') and what it claims to
represent, then critique is useless. The best I can do is use it
to call into existence a different configuration of possible
desires. I can differentiate the term from itself, but I can't
eradicate it. Uttering a statement on the virtual republic is a
matter of affirming a difference in the way a term is
expressed. It is not a matter of negating a representation in
the name of the (mis)represented.

This is a process of empirical investigation. I observe some
things going on in the virtual republic. I write something
about it in the Australian, the experimental zone that is
open to me within the virtual republic. Then I observe what
takes place after what I write appears, including what
happens in the radio interviews that sometimes follow.

I'm coming around to the view that media and cultural
studies has to be more inductive and experimental. For
many years media studies has been mostly deductive and
critical. Media studies approaches the media as a reservoir of
images and stories from which to select those bits that
conform to a hypothesis formed independently of it. Media
studies constructs the media in its own image. Media studies
now has a very detailed knowledge of this object of its own
construction. A knowledge that is useful for many things,
but not for actually making media.

I was involved in an experiment about this once. My
colleague Catharine Lumby and I asked leading media and
cultural studies practitioners to say what it is that they do, for
a story for the Sydney Morning Herald. The result was that,
while most of my colleagues seem to have a very good
understanding of what a soundbite is and what is wrong
with soundbites, very few can actually produce one. The
conclusion: media studies is not necessarily helpful in
actually making media.

Now, I'm not about to embark on a critique of media and
cultural studies. As should be clear by now, I'm sceptical
about the value of critique. All I want to say is that there are
parts of media and cultural studies that I didn't find useful
in my work. I'm interested in producing a new kind of
media and cultural studies alongside the existing ones.

The canny listener might object at this point that there is
nothing empirical about the way I arrived at a concept of the
way a term circulates in the media. The idea of
communication as the expression of differences rather than a
representation of similarity is a sort of soundbite version of
Deleuze's essay 'Plato and the Simulacrum'.

What happened was this: five years ago I read Paul
Johnson's attack on political correctness in the Australian. I
also read Gilles Deleuze's essay. The combination of both
reading events contributed to a writing event that includes
both my column in the Australian, my book, The Virtual
Republic, and this paper I am giving now.

Or in other words, I'm refusing a hierarchy of reading
experiences, where one kind is called 'theory' and the other
'research', or 'practice'. In my work, there are only textual
events, experiences of reading and writing, and very
heterogeneous ones at that.

Every day I go to the newsagent and read all the headlines
and straplines. Every week I go to Gleebooks and read all the
back covers of all the new books. Every month I check out
current serials at Fisher library. I make selections from this
inductive sampling. These selections are not based on an a
priori theory, but on the experience of previous iterations of
the inductive sampling. The hypothesis emerges out of, and
is continually modified by, the ongoing experiment of
reading and writing.

Doing this for the last five years, two emergent patterns
struck me as interesting: the culture wars fought out in the
newspapers; and the rise of Deleuzo-guattarian theory in the
academic publishing world. This explains why I happen to be
using Deleuze's book on Hume as a starting point for
understanding the culture wars.2

There may be something quite arbitrary about this. But
critical theories of media and culture are equally arbitrary.
Why do we quote Walter Benjamin when writing about TV
sitcoms as if this were the most natural thing in the world?
While the critical method and my method may be equally
arbitrary, at least my method produces results that differ over
time, whereas critical methods tend always to find the same
thing.

'Those who are my followers are not my followers', as
Zarathustra says. While I'm grateful to those who have
explicated what Deleuze thought, I'm more interested in
how one might think differently, after Deleuze. So while the
Virtual Republic doesn't use much of the terminology of the
current Deleuzianism, it is deeply indebted to his work. My
interest was in how his ways of thinking might be otherwise
productive.

Deleuze argues that Hume had a distinctive theory of public
institutions. The idea of the social contract conceives of the
institution as a limit on social energies that might otherwise
prove destructive. In this tradition, government is always at
best a necessary evil. The new left and the economic
rationalist right share common roots in this idea. The state is
a limit on the expression of individualistic self interest to the
right, or on the identities of different communities to the
left.

Deleuze says Hume had another idea. Institutions are not a
limit to the passions, but a way of combining and
orchestrating them. Hume is  sceptical about whether
'human nature' can be known, let alone reformed. He had a
modestly practical approach to the shaping of institutions
that might facilitate the extension of sympathies groups of
people might feel for those close to them to a wider, more
abstract community. Human nature is an emergent property,
something produced by the assembling of bodies and
institutions. It is always a second nature.

Hume's politics was, as Oakeshott says, a politics of
scepticism, not a politics of faith.3 Hume, and for that matter
Oakeshott, are most usually read thesedays by high minded
Tories, but I think they are recoverable for a social
democratic project of widening public sympathy and
understanding through the incremental and experimental
creation of institutions.

Institutions create entitlements. Entitlements to space, to
time, to language, to appearances. Entitlements to a future, to
the present, to various pasts. There are all kinds of
entitlements. When they come into conflict, there is often
no way of adjudicating between them. This I learned, not
just from reading Hume, but also from reading Arendt and
Lyotard, who come back to this problem of judgement after
Kant.4 I also learned it through clipping story after story from
the papers about Mabo and Wik.

Among the many entitlements that require constant
renegotiation involve those of speaking. Who can say what,
when and in what manner? Who owns the past? Or the
future? Or at least, who is entitled to speak of it? Questions
that arise, not just in the discourse of theory, but in the
discourse of media, under the heading of 'political
correctness', for instance.

Entitlement, it appears to me, is one of the fundamental
shifting points at work in the textual events of the culture
wars. Who is entitled, in the world of speaking and writing,
to a fair go? What kind of thinks get said, and what kinds of
relations hold between the things that get said?

In Virtual Republic I explored this by following four of what
I now call textual events, and by intervening experimentally
in them. I won't go into all that now. Some of you will have
read my columns on Demidenko and Manning Clark and
Pauline Hanson and Christopher Koch. You won't have read
me on David Williamson. The paper refused to run it out of
fear that Williamson might sue. That in itself is an
interesting story to do with entitlement and the fair go, but
its in the book, so I won't reiterate it.

What I want to do here is describe a concept emerging in my
mind about what the hell I was doing. When I read
Habermas on how the public sphere ought to work, I
discover a very humane and plural understanding of what is
good in the space of public discourse. But I don't get any
sense of the time of public discourse. One of the things that
happens in media and cultural studies is that experience of
events is reified and separated off from the temporality in
which it occurs. Talking about things as 'texts' facilitates this.
One ends up in an intertextual space, divorced from the
lived time of their intensity.

The trouble with public discourse is that it has no respect for
the tempo of academic work. It completely disregards the
pattern of teaching and semester breaks, not to mention the
temporality of study leave and research grants. So its not
surprising that researchers want to refashion these unruly
events into texts, which can be displaced from one tempo to
another.

But I thought it might be interesting to reverse the process,
and write my research according to the tempo of the media,
rather than vice versa. Or perhaps: rather than flattening out
the multitude of tempos according to which textual events
unfold, might we not read and write across a heterogeneous
range of tempos?

Or, another way of talking about the same issue. It seems to
me that very often the form of media discourse becomes the
content of academic discourse. This results in a twofold
problem. Only media discourse gets critiqued at the level of
form. Academic discourse proceeds as usual. The second
problem is that attention to the form of media discourse
enables its deconstruction and reconstruction in another
form, in academic discourse. But because the process is
incomplete, it provides no clues as to how to deconstruct and
reconstruct academic discourse back into media discourse.

The result is a media studies that, for all its ambitions to be a
critical discourse plainly isn't. It has exempted itself criticism
as a form of media more broadly speaking. By working across
several tempos and styles of writing, I want to produce a
version of media studies that in principle at least enables
transcoding between any and every register.

This is not the same thing as fictocriticism or other attempts
to deconstruct the differences between genres. I see those as
having a lamentable tendency to collapse everything back
into academic discourse. The academy becomes a black hole
that swallows every kind of speech but from which no
utterance ever escapes. In publishing Virtual Republic as a
trade paperback, I was trying to create a different kind of
textual event.

The problem with any empirical approach to the media is
that it confronts a great ever proliferating mass of
information. One seems greatly disadvantaged relative to
theoretical approaches which have preset filters  blocking out
the vast bulk of media experiences from consideration.

Here Deleuze proves useful again. His work explores the way
difference produces itself out of itself, without any reference
to an essence or limit. Differences can be captured and
contained, turned into repetition. But difference always
proliferates across some kind of zone. The way difference
differentiates across a zone is the main thing. The blockages
and captures of it are something secondary. Identities, be they
nation and self or being and other, are only repetitions,
points at which difference is captured and contained.

This is a rather crude rendering of what is always a far more
elegant metaphysical diagram in Deleuze. But I think its
good enough to do the job at hand, which is to put it
alongside one's experience of the media. Now, its not just
that I think this concept explains the experience of the
media. Its that I also think the concept of the media explains
Deleuze. 'Explains' in the quite restricted sense that one can
port a diagram from one field to another and watch it
connect things up.

According to Andrew Riemer, in his Sydney Morning
Herald review of The Virtual Republic, "Wark spends
considerable space discussing what he calls 'vectors', leading
him to meditate on the cultural implications of
republicanism, and so coming to rest on an essentially
Sydney-style concept of pluralism."5

Riemer doesn't quite seem to get what these vectors are.
Perhaps I've just never been clear on this. To me, a vector is
any movement across a zone that has a particular speed and
intensity, but has no fixed position. It might traverse its zone
this way or that way -- its still the same vector. Vectors occur
only in a zone that enables a certain freedom of movement.

Have you seen those ads for the Telstra privatisation?
Phones just ring, eveywhere, calling people with the news of
the privatisation. Among other things, its a nice illustration
of the vector field that is telephony. Teltra's telephone
network is a vector field. A phone call has certain properties
of speed and intensity, but in principle Telstra's phone
network can connect any point ti any other point.

I think Deleuze understands the movement of thought in a
parallel way to how I've been explaining communication.
Thoughts are vectors of a certain kind of intensity and speed
that traverse a zone. In thought, as in communication, we
only glimpse this zone of potential movement through the
actual movements that occur. Beyond the observation of
actual movements is the concept of the virtual zone of
potential movements. A zone which, moreover, may change
with each and every actual movement.

This might be an expression of what happens when thinking
thinks; this might be an expression of what happens when
media mediate. I happen to think these are aspects of one
and the same thing. The virtual republic is the limitless set
of instances of what might possibly traverse a transubjective
world of sense. This is the process by which a public comes to
know itself and to produce itself. Or rather, the virtual
republic is the zone of imminence that enables productions
of public-ness and private-ness, collective identities and self
identities -- as points of capture and repetition.

The virtual republic cannot be studied as a thing apart. Our
individuality is something co-produced alongside its public-
ness. This is why we have to proceed experimentally. I
cannot distinguish my private self as a space that is separate
from the public world. But I can distinguish between two
iterations of my relation to the public world. I can examine
the change in myself from time to time.

The virtual republic has an historical form. Its current form
is that the vector field that creates the potential for vectors of
sense is a matrix of institutions dominated by what I call a
'third nature'. That is to say, dominated by the media vectors
of television, telephony and radio.

I call this a third nature because there seems to me to be a
property of this construction of the field of culture that is
fundamentally different from its predecessors. Since the
telegraph, information has moved faster than the
movement of people or things. Since the telegraph,
information has permeated formerly distinct public and
private worlds, creating quite different relations between the
spaces and times of culture.

So among the institutions that produce, among other things,
the extension of sympathy that characterises culture are these
very new, very different and very strange institutions of the
media -- from the telephone to television to the
telecommunications of the internet. We know very little as
yet about any of this.

I was on Lateline a couple of weeks ago. Totally terrifying
experience. Nick Minchin, Howard's special minister of state
was in the Canberra studio. So too was Mark McKenna, the
historian. Tim Costello, the Uniting Church minister, was in
the Melbourne Studio. I was in Sydney with the show's host,
Maxine McHugh. Now, the weird part was that while
Maxine and I were about ten feet apart, I couldn't see her. I
was facing in another direction, looking at her face projected
on a glass screen, behind which was a camera -- its a simple
trick for getting you to look at the camera when speaking.
The distracting part was that I heard her and the other guests
and the floor manager through an earpiece, but I could also
hear Maxine's voice from somewhere out of vision to my
right. The space in which we existed was almost entirely one
of third nature, except for this nagging echo of Maxine's
voice from across the floor.

The topic was the constitutional convention. It took all three
of us amateurs, Costello, McKenna and I, but I think we
scored a point or two off Minchin, who is a real political and
media pro. But what struck me about it was how much the
whole impression have that Australia exists at all is an effect
of a matrix of vectors, a vector field, called the ABC.

This impression was reinforced by doing interview after
interview about Virtual Republic, with ABC radio hosts
from Geraldton, Darwin, Perth and Toowoomba, all from
the comfort of a 'Tardis booth' at ABC radio in Ultimo. The
Tardis booths are aptly named, for like Doctor Who's Tardis.
they are bigger on the inside than the outside. In the second
nature of the built environment, they are about eight feet
square; in the third nature of radio, they a zone that can
aurally contain any part of Australia.

I mention all this to reinforce just how scary it is that this
government attempted to lobotmise the ABC. And right at a
moment when the vector field of the national media is more
and more an extension of a global network of vectors. We no
longer have roots, we have aerials. Someday we may no
longer have aerials either.

Now, this raises several interesting problems. Without a
process of producing itself out of itself, the national culture
simply doesn't exist. Third nature is what synchronises that
process. The national culture is not much more than a
particular tempo at which certain kinds of difference
proliferate and dissipate across the surface of third nature.
The culture wars, for example. A dispersal of ideas about
what it is emerges at a synchronised tempo, as a host of
media vectors distribute the same images and terms at the
same time, but to wildly proliferating and differentiating
effects. The media do not homogenise culture in space, they
synchornise it in time.

So what matters, for example, about the constitutional
convention is that it has a certain temporarily as a textual
event, rippling across the surface of the media. A temporality
in which the national culture produces itself as a dispersal of
differences. The res publica, the 'public thing', or 'public
reality' is that common sign that circulates in its difference.
The virtual republic is that zone in which circulate the
unknowable set of potential things that the public thing
might become.

The idea of 'republic' itself, for example, is a public thing that
circulates. It produces a difference in people. They become for
it, or against it, or even indifferent to it. But either way,
synchronised by it.

The idea of the republic gets captured from time to time. It
gets captured in the adversarial structure of media discourse.
To be 'republican' means to want an Australian to be head of
state, which is necessarily opposed to being a monarchist,
which is the desire to retain the English monarch in said
role.

But sometimes the public thing escapes from capture, which
is what happened for a moment or two on Lateline. Minchin
and McHugh got stuck in a dialectic of opposites. The three
remaining talking heads tried to prise the term 'republic'
loose, make it proliferate, make it mean otherwise.

Experimental media studies, as I conceive it, is more like an
art than a science. It is about experimenting with the way
that media vectors might carry significations that proceed
otherwise. It is about that which might escape from
representation and its critique. It is also about what might
escape from the dialectic of representation opposed by
counter representation.

There was a great joke on Frontline once, where the
Executive Producer wanted to find a psychologist to
comment on air, and his Production Assistant could only
find a psychology student. The EP was unimpressed, until
the PA said that he might only be a psychology student, but
he's got a beard.

I mention this by way of expressing a problem I discovered
over the course of this experiment. Who am I when I
conduct such an experiment? Is that a matter of experiment
too? Or is it decided in advance? The words experiment and
experience have, after all, the same root. To be in peril: to
undergo a trial or a test.

There are particular roles for 'experts' in the media. One gets
drafted according to one's speciality, one's 'expertise'. But
what if one's expertise is in experimenting with this
experience itself?

One curious property of 'media expertise' is the odd way in
which competence creates its own authority. Socrates proved
that while the reciter of Homer is expert in reciting, he is not
for all that an expert in subjects to which the verses refer. He
may know nothing of the art of war, for example, or the
geography of Troy.

Likewise, Maxine McHugh's expertise is in asking questions
about things, not in the things about which the questions are
asked. The media expert is the one experienced in
condensing a complex matter into a small set of abstract
signs. The soundbite is a form of poetry.

The experiment with the expertise of the media that is
perhaps most interesting to conduct in the media itself
concerns the expansion of the boundaries of this most
condensed poetics. In particular, it seems urgent to me to
explore alternatives to the 'call and response' pattern of the
poetry of current affairs media. Everything is always a
dialectic, in which each position both depends on, and
negates the other. If totalitarian communication is about the
rhythmic repetition of one cluster of signs, then democratic
communication all too often reduces itself to the repetition
of two clusters.

At least there is change in this, although change of a
somewhat predictable kind. The attacks on political
correctness and postmodernism during the rightward
opening moves of the culture wars created the space from
which an answering voice could assuming a speaking
position. Mark Davis did this most successfully in his book
Ganglands.

But one can observe some ill effects of this kind of media
discourse, too. I think the failure of the rhetorics of social
democracy in the Keating years had to do with the way they
identified minorities dialectically, in opposition to an other,
in opposition to an Anglo-Celtic majority. The perils of
Pauline may very well be something summoned up by social
democratic media strategies themselves. What Hanson
spoke for was everything that for a good few years had been
so loudly spoken against. Social democracy created the
dialectical possibility of its own negation.

The experiment of multiculturalism ran into difficulties, not
because it tried to legitimise cultural differences. Rather,
because it did not open the way for differentiation enough. It
posited differences against a dominant and allegedly
hegemonic other. The other articulated itself from the very
locus where it had been projected.

So its tempting, particularly for Labor, to abandon the whole
rhetoric of the minority and join the jostling crowd of
political populists angling for some alleged 'mainstream'.
But I think a better solution is to head in the other direction
altogether. To think of all Australians as different, and
differently entitled, to make a claim on public affairs.

My own modest contribution to disagregating majority is, in
Virtual Republic, to open my own little crack in this monster
'Anglo-Celtic' culture. A term that would make my Scots
ancestors turn in their graves. The Virtual Republic is a book
that is not shy about speaking to the whole of Australian
culture. I believe everyone who belongs to it has that right.
What needs be more modest, I think is the authority of
speaking from the whole of it. That is what needs
particularising, for those of us with easy access to a
majoritarian voice as much for those without.

There is a past that marks one, that is the scar of history.
There is the past one makes, that one tattoos by choice on the
surfaces of everyday life. I wanted to create an outline of a
tradition to which I could belong. This is, I think, an
underestimated problem at present.

In 1985 Meaghan Morris gave me a very good piece of advice.
Don't 'Oedipalise' your relationship with your predecessors,
she said. Don't treat them as intellectual fathers and mothers
-- to be killed so you can take their place.

Ten years later, in 1995, I discovered a whole band of would-
be intellectual parent figures to the nation who were trying
to kill off their own children. Helen Garner thinks we need
smothering with mothering. Seeing that we have
succumbed to a 'culture of forgetting', Robert Manne offered
to go on carrying the burden of remembering for us.

This was one of the more bizarre sides to the culture wars.
As you might expect, the demonising of a generation as
victims of an evil postmodernism creates the speaking
position from which a range of voices have replied, from the
Phillip Adam's collection Retreat from Tolerance to Mark
Davis' Ganglands  to Catharine Lumby's Bad Girls to Jenna
Mead's new book Bodyjamming, to Tony Moore's ABC TV
documentary Bohemian Rhapsody, which screens on
December 3rd.

I couldn't resist the urge to play this game, of participating in
a re-evaluation of what is living and what is dead in the
legacy of the 60s. But like Tony Moore, I wanted also to
construct a possible past, perhaps just a myth of the past, that
might sustain a way of working in the present. And so, in
Virtual Republic, I wrote about the continuities between
Sydney freethought, Sydney libertarianism and Sydney
postmodernism, from 1927 to 1997. Seventy years of thinking
and arguing and disagreeing about the politics of difference
and the culture of autonomy.

Whether initiated by moralists from Melbourne or the
member for Oxley, whenever there are attacks on the
plurality of ways of claiming an entitlement to speak, it
comforts me to think that there is a tradition of responding
to those attacks that has not only deep roots but a whole
dense crabgrass network of tendrils, right here in Sydney.

So while Virtual Republic unavoidably buys into the
dialectic of the culture wars, it also tries to escape from it.
The down side is that these experiments in writing
otherwise are hurting my sales. The up side is that its still
possible for such a thing to circulate at all.

1 McKenzie Wark, 'Hunted Are Hunters in PC Beat-Up',
Australian, 15th April 1992

2 Gilles Deleuze, Empiricism and Subjectivity, Columbia
University Press, 1991

3 Michael Oakeshott, The Politics of Faith and the Politics of
Scepticism, Yale University Press, New Haven, 1996

4 See Kimberly Hutchings, Kant, Critique and Politics,
Routledge, London, 1996

5 Andrew Riemer, 'The Cultural War Has Broken Out
Again. Which Gang Are You In?', Sydney Morning Herald,
18th October, 1997

McKenzie Wark lectures in media studies at Macquarie
University in Sydney, Australia Mckenzie.Wark@mq.edu.au

The Virtual Republic is published by Allen & Unwin
http://www.allen-unwin.com.au
frontdesk@allen-unwin.com.au

---