John Perry Barlow on Mon, 9 Feb 1998 23:45:56 +0100 (MET)

Re: <nettime> The Californian Demonology

At 4:23 PM -0500 2/6/98, Julian Dibbell wrote:
>Reading through the entertaining and generally right-on responses to
>Richard Barbrook's latest, I stumbled momentarily over Ted Byfield's casual
>assertion, regarding nettime's Satanic Day-Glo nemesis, that "the
>magazine's dying." I won't argue for or against the assertion, but it
>alerted me to the strange fact that nobody on this list seems to have made
>any mention of the tremendous and, I think, encouraging changes that took
>place at Wired late last year.

It is worth noting that Wired Ventures made a profit last year and that the
magazine, unburdened by its electronic enterprises would have made a very
large profit.

I would say that anyone out there gleefully writing our obituary might want
to hold off.

Yrs,

John Perry

John Perry Barlow, Cognitive Dissident
Co-Founder, Electronic Frontier Foundation

Home(stead) Page: http://www.eff.org/~barlow

MegaPhone: 800/654-4322

Barlow in Meatspace Today: Orlando, Generica

Coming soon to: Cannes 2/10-11, Cambridge & New York 2/12, Coral Gables, FL
2/13-16, New York City 2/17, Cambridge...

It's easier to make money than to steal it.

                                             -- Bill Joy

---