Keith Sanborn on Thu, 12 Mar 1998 00:06:54 +0100 (MET)

Re: <nettime> funding for the arts etc.

Mr. Weil:

Just a small reminder: it was you who originally placed the conversation
"in the snake pit." I for one, for better or for worse, jumped in to
reflect back, from another point of view, the same tone you had set. Glad
to see you've changed your tone, if not your mind.

1/ A sponsored site enters the market as advertising. While it's not a
physical commodity that is sold to its recipients, the recipients, as
Richard Serra quoting someone else once said "are the commodity."
Television delivers people to advertisers; corporate sponsors buy
attention for themselves by using art to attract potential users of their
services.

2/It seems the only thing you've" done differently" is failed to pay in
money terms the artists whose work you use for advertising. I think we
already covered this with reference to Manfreddo Tafuri: "The fate of
formal innovation in the arts is to be coopted by advertising." It's a bit
more complicated in the case of less visible sponsorship, but not a lot
different than those Absolute Vodka ads. The difference being that
Absolute Vodka had to pay the artists for the more radical product
placement.

3/The notion that "artists" need support on the web--at least in North
America or Western Europe is far from self-evident. For a relatively low
cost and low investment of learning time it is relatively easy to create
one's own web pages and place them. If artists wish to use the services of
a site supporting artists in order to increase their visibility, then they
are simply using the site to advertise their work. They are allowing their
work to be used in exchange for the privledge of having it seen which
could conceivably lead to some other long term benefit. Corporate or
government or individual patronage is never disinterested. No matter how
much of a potlatch mentality is involved, the potlatch aspect is used to
enhance one's prestige as it is with its originators, the indigenous
inhabitants of Northwestern North America. One affirms one's right to
one's potlatch seat by giving away things on deliberately public
occasions; one catches hold of a grooviness quotient in the corporate
hierarchy by sponsoring artists. DUH!!!

I find your surprise at the violence of language extremely disingenuous;
it reflects the violence of upward shifts of wealth taking place in the
world economy. Microserfs of the world unite! you have nothing to lose but
your bottom rung status in the corporate hierarchy! And you have a sense
of humor to gain;)

Keith Sanborn

---