Phil Agre on Sat, 28 Mar 1998 00:43:35 +0100 (MET)

<nettime> more replies on domain names

[I have enclosed Dave Crocker's reply to Gordon Cook, along with the
comments on domain naming that Tony Rutkowski submitted to the NTIA.
I have taken the liberty of reformatting both messages to 70 columns.
See also http://www.flywheel.com/ircw/gpsubmit.html ]

This message was forwarded through the Red Rock Eater News Service (RRE).
Send any replies to the original author, listed in the From: field below.
You are welcome to send the message along to others but please do not use
the "redirect" command.  For information on RRE, including instructions
for (un)subscribing, send an empty message to  rre-help@weber.ucsd.edu

Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 08:49:22 -0800
From: Dave Crocker <dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
Subject: Re: Gordon Cook reply to EFF on domain names

(My own comments submitted on the Green Paper are located at
<http://www.brandenburg.com/misc/ntia-bburg.html>.)

With respect to Gordon Cooks's note forcefully criticizing the
EFF's evaluation of the US government's Green Paper on Internet
administration, we see an excellent exemplar of the pattern that
has tended to dominate this topic.  As in any debate, an important
requirement is to assess the competencies and goals of those taking
the different sides.

With respect to Internet administration, we tend to see those
with significant, hands-on experience believing that the existing
administrative authority (IANA) has and does work well, only needing
continuing evolution to match changes in the Internet.  Hence they
believe that such evolution should be performed by and through IANA,
rather than through US government intervention.  Those making such
comments usually have enough operations background to discern the
considerable deficiencies in NSI's performance over the course of
its contract and, therefore, consider it an excellent demonstration
of the need to prevent for-profit registry (data base) administration.

Claims that IANA has lost the confidence of the Internet community has
no operational basis, since those administering the Internet continue
to work under the authority and guidance of IANA.

Concerning the detail of Gordon's comments:

At 10:58 PM 3/24/98 -0800, Gordon Cook wrote:
>Cook:  Anyone who expends the intellectual effort to read the Green Paper
>and various other filings should realize that this is a false statement.
>NSI is having a permanent monopoly over nothing.  If EFF means complain
>that the US government will not expropriate the business that NSI built up

In fact the GP does permit NSI to retain permanent, unregulated
control over the com/net/org data base and to operate it on a
for-profit basis.  The idea that separating the data base operations
into one part of the corporation and the front-end sales and service
(competing) registrar function into another will somehow prevent
NSI from using its special leverage sits somewhere between silly and
absurd.  The strongly dominant view is that data base operations need
to rest in the hands of NOT-for-profit entities that are subject to
meaningful public oversight.

I should also note the rather strange view that NSI somehow "built up"
its business.  Yes, the rate of registrations grew, but is this really
due to NSI?  We need to remember that NSI did not create the business,
did not fund it and did not market it.  All they did was administer
it under a US government contract and at the direction of IANA.  The
appeal of com/net/org is not predominantly the excellence (or lack)
of NSI's administration but the fact that those top-level domains have
the cachet of "global citizenship".  I've seen billboards in Italy and
Malaysia for companies using domain names from these gTLDs, yet the
companies were clearly and only doing local business.  NSI is in no
way responsible for this phenomenon.  It is part and parcel with the
Internet's growth and its culture.

>in .com - that is correct.  But is NSI allows others to register into .com
>that is in no way a permanent monopoly!

Since this point is confused so frequently by so many, it is worth
repeating the nature of the misunderstanding and the nature of the GP
proposal.

Registration can distinguish a front-end sales and service function,
performed by a registrar, and a back-end, data-base registry function.
For the Domain Name Service, the back-end registry function must be
performed by a single entity, for each "level" in the DNS hierarchy.
For each top-level domain name, there must be a single mechanism
in charge of doing the actual data base updates, in order to ensure
uniqueness and arbitrate competition.  When those vying for names are
competing in terms of business, the single mechanism must be a single,
separate organization.  In other words, competition among those
doing the vying needs a neutral third-party to enforce fairness and
ensure uniqueness.  It is widely accepted that there can and should
be multiple, competing registrars for the generic top-level domains.

If one of the registrars has a special, inside track to the operator
of the registry, they are certain to exploit it, since their goal is
to maximize profits.  The Green Paper permits exactly this unfortunate
opportunity for NSI/SAIC.  It permits the com/net/org registry to be
owned and operated by the same corporate tree that will be a registrar
for com/net/org.  No amount of theoretical separation within the
tree can guarantee fair treatment for the other registrars.  The only
way to ensure fairness is to establish the registry operations with
an entity that has no ties to NSI/SAIC.  The one exception to this
requirement is if the entity has equal ties to all its registrars.
An example of this is the Council of Registrars registry defined for
the gTLD Memorandum of Understanding, which operates as a consortium
of the registrars, and with public oversight from the POC (and PAB).

>EFF: EFF believes that the National Science Foundation (NSF) made a mistake
>by failing to control this for-profit company to protect the public
>interest.
>
>Cook:  Anyone who reads the public record will see that the NSF acted
>perfectly properly.  EFF had better make clear what its definition of the

Quite the contrary.  NSI has been operating without any meaningful
oversight.  Their charging scheme included a $15/year surcharge which
is increasingly being viewed as an illegal tax.  Further, the $35/year
service fee is repeatedly evaluated as being between 5 and 35 times
higher than necessary to recover operating costs.  For registration
renewal, the fee may be as much or more than 70 times too high.  NSI
claims otherwise, of course, but then NSI started doing this job when
it had none of the relevant technical or operational skills and it has
been learning as it has been developing.

With respect to NSF, the error they made was in having a small, closed
review process for the charging and the reviewing was done by people
who also lacked the relevant technical and operational expertise.

>extended to them in the future management of the domain name system. They
>made a deliberate, intentional and ongoing attempt to steal from the public
>the resource they had a five-year stewardship contract to manage and
>protect.
>
>Cook:  An absolutely outrageous statementŠ.especially the last sentence.

Strong, yes, but not outrageous.  NSI has claimed ownership over a
data base it did not create and whose development and operation it
did not fund.  It has billing practises which include providing its
customers with no verification or correlation of payment.  It is known
to double-bill with some regularity and to suspend entries erroneously
with some regularity.  It has a dispute policy which makes NSI an
evaluator of the dispute and is widely acknowledged to be not simply
unfair but astonishingly unfair.  And so on...

Independent of all of these historical negatives is the simple and
compelling fact that for-profit control of a DNS top-level registry
is entirely contrary to the best interests of Internet users.  It will
result in their being captive to the operator of the registry.  As is
the goal of all for-profit organizations, the registry will seek to
maximize profits; control over the customer will permit doing that to
excess.

>Only the MOUvement, which I believe has now discredited itself in front of
>a majority of Internet users, uses language designed to give Internet

On the contrary, the list of supporting signatories continues to grow.
One registrar has backed out, considerably after the USG government's
intervention clouded the process and ensured substantial delays.
(What is amazing to me is that only one has backed out.)  The list of
statements supporting the gTLD MoU, submitted in response to the Green
Paper has been substantial.  Best of all is the amount of material the
Green Paper, itself, took from the gTLD MoU work, although of course
it made no such attribution.

>management to the contol of the International Telecommunication Union.  But

This ITU bogeyman is getting tiresome, since it has no foundation in
fact.  It has wonderful emotional appeal, given the ITU's unfortunate
and unpleasant history with respect to the Internet, but relies
entirely on old history.  It is patently wrong with respect to current
ITU history and it is patently wrong with respect to the nature and
degree of ITU "power" over the gTLD MoU work.  The ITU has been a
highly constructive participant-among-equals in the gTLD MoU work.
They have been playing the Internet game according to Internet rules.
(And by the way, that's more than NSI can claim.)  Further, the claim
of ITU dominance is quite simply an insult to the many other people
and organizations that have provided input, leadership and support for
the gTLD MoU work.

>Cook:  Would it be too troublesome to ask EFF board members how they
>propose to replace the infrastructure built up by NSI and legitimately
>owned by NSI?  Infrastructure capable of handling 50,000 help phone calls
>per month and registering 120000 new .com domains.  EFF is proposing action
>here that if implemented would be disastrous for nearly 2 million current
>.com registrants.  Action that someone would have to pay for while

This line of criticism suggests a deep misunderstanding of some
fundamental points:

First, let's again distinguish the sales/support registrar function
from the registry data-base service.  The 50,000 phone calls pertains
to the former.  The 120,000 registrations pertains to the latter.
It turns out that the registration data base transaction rate is
about 12 per minute.  Modern transaction system can easily handle
100 per SECOND.  In other words, the technology to perform the data
base work is trivial, when developed by someone knowledgeable in that
technology.  The work done by Emergent, for CORE, is a prime example.

Replacing such work costs money, but not an outrageous amount.
Further we need to remember that NSI's investment was funded entirely
by the US government and by its users.  It made no independent
investments, no matter how their bookkeeping might claim otherwise.

With respect to the 50,000 customer calls, NSI is fully expected to
be permitted to continue a as a registrar.  If they are that good at
customer support, their investment and responsiveness will prove to
their advantage.

>conveniently omitting to say who.  Or has John Gilmore promised to foot the
>bill?  Besides not only do you need to have someone pay for it, it needs to

CORE has already been footing the bill and has developed a system that
is more efficient and more flexible and more powerful than the NSI
system.  It could fold in the com/net/org data base without breaking
into a sweat.  And please note that the CORE data base really WAS
developed with private, speculative investment funds from the
registrars, unlike NSI's source of public funding.

>be up and working before one can claim it as an alternative.  EFF could
>have done its home work.  It chose not to.  A shame.

Yes, not doing homework is indeed a shame...

>EFF:  We were happy to see that the DoC proposal requires Network Solutions
>to give the U.S. government copies and documentation of all data, software
>Cook:  Shame on any organization that ostensibly is dedicated to the
>preservation of civil liberties in cyberspace not recognizing the privacy
>implications of what they are proposing.  The irrational hatred of NSI
>expressed by this document they remind me strongly of the views of John

This sort of ad hominem attack serve only to miss the point that
this data base is essential to the operation of the Internet
infrastructure.  The information which some claim is a matter of
privacy is for Internet operations.  The problems that ensue from
misbehaving DNS servers, when there is no way to contact those
responsible for the servers, has been long and well-documented.

>EFF: Network Solutions should be required to turn over all root servers
>Cook:  Absurd.  Also I believe that the assertion about the "difficulty of
>changing the set of globally known root server addresses," is technically

Well, let's see.  First NSI has used their physical control over the
A server as a political bargaining chit, in many private discussions
about the DNS resolution.  Second is a misunderstanding of the nature
of the difficulty in moving the set of root server IP addresses.
The physical aspects of changing the official list is easy.  The
operations aspects of instantiating that change throughout the
Internet is problematic.  It can be done but takes time.

>EFF: Domain name registration and the generic top level domains themselves
>Cook: Are you aware that you are asking for this to fall under ITU purview?
>Are you aware of the incalculable dollar value of this to traditional
>telcos which will be put out of business if they don't slow down the spread

"Purview".  Whatever this is supposed to mean, the facts are that
ITU has no substantive control over this area.  The concern over the
telcos is even less relevant.

>Cook:  IANA's TSAR like implementation got us into this mess.  It is not
>the way out.  Traditional bottom up self regulation as expressed in the
>Open Root server coalition IS a solution compatible with Internet standards
>and culture.

Again, this suggests a basic lack of knowledge about the reality of
IANA operational style, in particular the consultative nature of its
decision processes.  It further misunderstands the largely piratical
methods of those who have pursued alternative root systems, under
a continuing and impressive range of names, and with impressive
organizational instability.

d/
Dave Crocker                Brandenburg Consulting       +1 408 246 8253
dcrocker@brandenburg.com      675 Spruce Drive       (f) +1 408 249 6205
www.brandenburg.com        Sunnyvale, CA 94086  USA

[http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/domainname/130dftmail/03_23_98-5.htm]