Tina LaPorta on Sat, 30 May 1998 18:38:12 +0200 (MET DST)

<nettime> outside the white cube

This small piece of text caught my attention today:

"1977-- stung by media and public criticism, Walter H. Annenberg withdraws
his offer to fund a communications center in the Metropolitan Museum of Art
to produce television documentaries and other educational materials on
art."

ArtNews November 1997, p. 193

After reading it, I was reminded of a few messages Ursula Biemann wrote
durring the eyebeam discussion:

".....What I was trying to point out is that while all this was happening with
television, art continued to refer to art history as its main canon and
sought recognition in art defined spaces."

&

".....Why didn't museums ever bother to buy satellite time?"

My experiences are true to what Ursula has suggested, whether it's cable
channels or the Net, the traditional art world refuses to acknowledge other
media environments as a viable context for art production and distribution.
And, as ArtNews points out, in turning a blind eye to these communication
channels, arts institutions are now paying the price by being so clearly
voiceless and completely absent within the larger cultural debate(s)
outside the white cube of the contemporary art world.

Tina LaPorta

::::::comming soon::::::
---> http://wwww.users.interport.net/~laporta/women_in_new_media.html
---