Stefan Wray on Wed, 9 Sep 1998 16:48:33 +0200 (MET DST)

<nettime> ELECTRONIC DISTURBANCE THEATER NEWS

THE ELECTRONIC DISTURBANCE THEATER
http://www.nyu.edu/projects/wray/ecd.html
Stefan Wray (SW) sjw@is8.nyu.edu, Ricardo Dominguez (RD) rdom@thing.net

- For Immediate Release -

September 9, 1998, 12:35 p.m., Linz, Austria

ELECTRONIC CIVIL DISOBEDIENCE GROUP RECEIVES THREATENING PHONE CALL

On Wednesday, September 9, at 7:32 a.m., Ricardo Dominguez of the
Electronic Disturbance Theater received a threatening phone call, from
someone presumed to be Mexican, in his hotel room in Linz, Austria where
the group is participating in the Ars Electronica InfoWar Festival. Ars
Electronica organizers and the Linz police have been informed and we await
an official statement from the AEC organization regarding this incident.=20

----------------------------
THE CALL

SW: What happened? When?

RD: This morning at 7:32 a call came into my room.

SW: Where?

RD: I picked it up in Linz, Austria. The name of the hotel is the
Steinberger Maxx. Room 610.
At 7:32 they called and they asked "Is this Ricardo Dominguez of Electronic
Civil Disobedience" and I said "Yes" And then they asked "Is Stefan Wray
with you?" and I said "No" and then they hung up. . .I thought maybe it was
a reporter. . . About two minutes later, I got a call again. I picked up
and in very clear Spanish, Mexican Spanish, they said "We know who you are.
We know where you are at. We know where your family is. We are watching
you. Do not go downstairs. Do not make your presentation. Because you know
what the situation is. This is not a game." And they hung up.

PART II.

The Electronic Disturbance Theater
http://www.nyu.edu/projects/wray/ecd.html

- For Immediate Release -

September 9, 1998, 11:00 a.m. Linz, Austria

NETSTRIKE AGAINST ZEDILLO, PENTAGON, FRANKFURT STOCK EXCHANGE

FloodNet activated now.
Connect your browser to:
http://www.thing.net/~rdom/zapsTactical/javascrp.htm

In your browser preferences:
1) Disable Java Script
2) Set your proxies to "Direct connection to Internet"
3) Set your cache to "Every time"

Leave your browser connected to FloodNet during this 24 hour period.

SEPTEMBER 9 NETSTRIKE AGAINST
ZEDILLO, PENTAGON, AND FRANKFURT STOCK EXCHANGE=20

In solidarity with the Zapatistas in Mexico, the Electronic Disturbance
Theater will launch its FloodNet software against the web sites of Mexican
President Zedillo, the Pentagon, and the Frankfurt Stock Exchange on Wed.,
September 9, from its base at the Ars Electronica InfoWar Festival. These
actions are part of the Electronic Disturbance Theater=B4s SWARM presentati=
on
at the festival now happening in Linz, Austria.

Since April the Electronic Disturbance Theater has used its FloodNet
software to engage in virtual sit-ins on the web sites of the Mexican
government and the Clinton White House. Such electronic actions are
designed to demonstrate collective and world-wide support for the
Zapatistas in Chiapas and their opposition to the Zedillo government with
its global neoliberal economic agenda.

The SWARM actions on September 9, targeting government, military, and
financial web sites in three countries, will commence at 11:00 a.m. (Linz)
for a 24-hour period. Participants around the world will set their Internet
browsers to the FloodNet page.

The September 9 SWARM starts a fall campaign of hybrid actions combining
action on the street and the Net. FloodNet will be activated in conjunction
with planned actions:
=B7 September 16 (Mexican Independence Day)
=B7 October 12 (Dia de la Raza)
=B7 November 22 (Civil Disobedience at the School of the Americas)

In addition, the Electronic Disturbance Theater will join the micro-power
radio movement in the United States on October 4 and 5 with actions against
the Federal Communications Commission.

FloodNet Foyer---http://www.thing.net/~rdom/zapsTactical/javascrp.htm
Electronic Civil Disobedience---http://www.nyu.edu/projects/wray/ecd.html

---