Nettime mailing list archives

<nettime> Culture, Class, and Cyberspace
Art McGee on Sun, 13 Sep 1998 14:25:25 +0200 (MET DST)

<nettime> Culture, Class, and Cyberspace

I don't agree with all the conclusions, but listed below are some very
interesting and important resources, dealing with the intersection of
ethnicity, culture, class, poverty, computers, and cyberspace.

Even if you're busy, please be sure to at least browse them.

If you have a web page, and you agree that these links are important,
please do me a favor and add them to a section on your site. Thank you.

By the way, most of the links lead to original material, not the
summarized articles you may have read in a newspaper or magazine dealing
with similar subjects.

[Ethnicity and Culture Section]

The Unbearable Whiteness of Being:
African American Critical Theory and Cyberculture

Cultural Uses of New, Networked Internet Information and
Communication Technologies: Implications for US Latino Identities

Bridging the Digital Divide:
The Impact of Race on Computer Access and Internet Use

What it Means to be Black in Cyberspace

Cyborg Diaspora:
Virtual Imagined Community

Race In/For Cyberspace:
Identity Tourism and Racial Passing on the Internet

American Emissaries to Africa:
>From John Barlow via James Bond to James Baldwin and Back

What Color is the Net?

WIRED 3.12: Idees Fortes - Race in Cyberspace?

Book Review: The African-American Resource Guide to the Internet

[The next link is to some comments I made a few years ago]

AFROAM-L Archives - February 1995:
Race, Ethnicity, Culture, and Cyberspace

[Lastly, a link to a resource page that contains general and
gender-based papers on net sociology/identity]

The Media and Communication Studies Site
Resource Page for Gender, Ethnicity & Class: Social and Personal Identity

[Class and Poverty Section]

Possible Roles for Electronic Community Networks and Participatory
Development Strategies in Access Programs for Poor Neighborhoods

High Technology and Low-Income Communities:
Prospects for the Positive Use of Advanced Information Technology

Losing Ground Bit by Bit:
Low-Income Communities in the Information Age

Falling Through the Net II:
New Data on the Digital Divide

Impact of CTCnet Affiliates:
Findings from a National Survey of Users of Community Technology Centers

| Arthur McGee (Staff)                    <amcgee {AT} igc.org>       |
| Institute for Global Communications     http://www.igc.org/    |
| Voice: +1-310-515-BYTE                  Fax: +1-415-561-6101   |
| PeaceNet  *  EcoNet  *  ConflictNet  *  WomensNet  *  LaborNet |

#  more info: majordomo {AT} desk.nl and "info nettime-l" in the msg body