human being on Wed, 14 Oct 1998 09:48:22 +0200 (MET DST)

Re: <nettime> The Manifesto of January 3, 2000

>The Manifesto of January 3, 2000
>by Bruce Sterling

 i wonder if this manifesto really is an extension and-or
 connection to the ideas found in Alvin Toffler's work:
 Third Wave, Future Shock, and the Culture Consumers.

 if so, my intuition says uh-oh to the same thing which makes
 these works questionable to my mind: they are built upon a model
 of the "super-industrial" state. that same ecosystem of power
 as it is based upon private "super-man" and semantic man (s-man):

 the issue of individual and collective then revolves around
 the private identity of i, man. the collective 'i, you, me,
 we' are all limited by the meaning of s-man, the guardian.

 that is, humanity is limited by mankind's idea of humanity.

 that is, the state is limited by the industrial state..

 that is, same old, same old power structure.

 and the people who want into the pyramidal
 megamachine of this cultural order.

 science fiction or humanist fact?

 bc

---