nettime's_digestive_system on Mon, 16 Nov 1998 06:51:39 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> ECD digest

Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 23:46:40 -0500 (EST)
From: jesse hirsh <jesse@tao.ca>
Subject: Re: tao: <nettime> Wray response to FAIR letter re ECD re Mumia

Hi Stefan, I'm glad to see this discussion going on. It's funny how it's
occurring simultaneously over several different lists. I'm sure i'm
missing some, but here's something for you and nettime:

On Wed, 11 Nov 1998, Stefan wrote:

> Actually there has only been one call to hack web sites. All other calls
> are to engage in FloodNet actions. FloodNet is not a form of hacking.
> Hacking implies gaining access into a computer system. FloodNet merely
> knocks on the door.

Cracking implies gaining access into a computer system. Hacking is a very
broad term, that often includes Denial of Service attacks, which FloodNet
is a form of.

> Furthermore, spamming occurs when an incredible number of email messages
> are sent to an email address such that it majorly fills up an inbox. For
> example, one time I received over 2,000 messages from the same sender. That
> was a spam. When I send out email messages announcing a FloodNet action, I
> am advertizing not spamming. Sometimes people receive more than one
> message. This is due to being subscribed to a number of similar listservs.

'Spam' is another ambiguous term that tends to be defined by vigilantes
with situational power. Now I'm not personally that moved by spam, but I
can assure you that your practices would be classified by some (with power
to filter and block) as spamming. With that said, Stefan, the EDT need to
get their own majordomo server together for the purposes of organizing ecd
actions. Based solely on the groups tactics (wides spread denial of
service attacks) you need to be running your own majordomo server to
handle the announcement of, distribution along the lines of, and
mobilization towards ecd events. Otherwise it will always be clumsy, and
messy, and a big inconvenience to everyone. (You've seen my personal mail
stats and how you're at the top of them since I get like 8 copies of your
messages each time). Which is to say I'd be willing to help you setup your
own majordom server, wherever that may be.

> There are some people who are subscribed to only damn, to only nyfma, to
> only media-l, to only aac, etc., but there are some people who are
> subscribed to many lists at the tao server.

Yes but when you send one of your announcements, you literally take over
our server by running every list at once, simultaneously, often multiple
copies. We've had meetings discussing usage and I can point to the stats
and say, "that was the stefan wray mailing yesterday" and point to a huge
spike in all stats.

> Perhaps some day there will be a technical solution to this problem. For
> example, perhaps there could be a way for the tao computer to know if it
> already sent the same message to a person who is subscribed to one list so
> as to not send duplicates if that same person is subscribed to other lists
> to which the message has been forwarded. I don't know if this is feasible,
> but it would reduce incoming mail.

It can within limits, but you go outside of them. In essence you are
bending the explicit purpose of email lists. You (the edt) need to run
your own set of email lists.

> Until some sort of technical solution is reached, as just surmised, I don't
> see anyway around posting to multiple lists that will invariably have some
> cross-posting. If someone can come up with a suggested solution to this,
> I'd be more than happy to entertain it.

If your going to wage 'technology-based' campaigns, learn the technology.
Begin with majordomo, and oh-yeah, linux is a good base. Invest the time
comrades.

> [By the way, my message was almost as vague as saying PROTESTERS: PROTEST
> THESE SITES NOW! and then listing several buildings where people should
> hold protests.]

I don't know about your world, but where I live if you want to hold a
protest, most of the time it takes organizing, and mobilization of the
grass-roots type, that requires time and patience. It's not just about
putting up posters. It's about establishing relationships, levels of
trust, and a sense of responsibility in regard to your actions.

> With respect to public response and outcry around Mumia, one thing I think
> is important is that we increase the danger.index. State and federal
> authorities must fear that if Mumia Abu Jamal is assassinated, that it will
> make what happened after the Los Angeles Rodney King trial look like a
> picnic. In addition to a state fear of chaos and mayhem in the streets,
> should there be a death warrant signed, I think the state and the corporate
> world should be instilled with a fear of chaos and mayhem on in cyberspace,
> on the Internet, on the World Wide Web.

I cannot, and will not, support fear. I think creating, maintaing, and
building fear is really a bad thing. I think people need a lot to stand up
to the shitstem, to come together with their brothers and sisters, and
make a difference, whether its for themselves or for mumia. Historically
fear has only lead to destruction, usually that done by the 'state'.

> The threat of widespread destruction of digital capital is a dangerous
> threat. Yet I think the death of Mumia would easily warrant it. In light of
> this, a call to hack a few web sites is a relatively tame desire.=20

The destruction of digital capital faces no fear from mumia. Physical
capital on the other hand does hold more weight.

> If Wall Street thought that the signing of a death warrant for Mumia would
> send stocks plummeting because of major slippage in investor confidence due
> to paranoia about real or simulated cyber-attacks on digital capital, the
> state might reconsider a death warrant. I stress "might." But it may be
> worth the gamble.

That's ludicrous. Cyber-attacks will not make people nervous. It will only
intensify the industry of security that is flourishing (prisons as a boom
business?). The 'state' plays the game of fear. My experience is that
'people' play the game of love.

> Yes, Mumia's case may now go to a federal appeal, so that calls for extreme
> reactions may be premature. But there is never a bad time to instill worry
> and fear in federal and state authorities that a Mumia death warrant would
> lead to lawlessness and disorder on urban streets and in cyberspace. This
> potential must be injected into the state's decision making process.
> Increase the danger.index. Capitalize on the power of asymmetrical action.
> Tip the balance in our favor. In Mumia's favor. In the end, it may be our
> recourse.

If anything, inducing fear into the state only wets its appetite to kill.

> Our experimentation with FloodNet, if anything, proves at least one thing.
> Simulated action, simulated threats, can be as powerful as the real thing.

This has not been proved. At least you need to make a clearer case here.
One of the main purposes of direct action, certainly civil disobedience,
is to develop both class consciousness and revolutionary consciousness.
The kind that comes from sharing physical space with people, and putting
your body on the line. Which is not to say you couldn't do this with ecd,
I just question whether you've done it yet.

> Look how far it has taken us . . . to the front page of the New York Times
> and beyond.

Where I come from (and remain) that doesn't mean jack shit. - 8)

> When pressed, when asked what FloodNet really does, technically
> speaking in terms of the actual impact on the targeted web site, the honest
> answer is "probably not a whole hell of a lot." But then why is the media
> paying so much attention to it right now? [Today we were just filmed for 4
> hours for a nationally syndicated TV program on technology and computers].

So you profit, but how does that help Mumia?

> It is because we are manipulating the media sphere, we are creating hype,
> we are culture jamming, we are simulating threats and action. But really,
> folks, we haven't really "done" anything if you approach what we do from a
> pure materialist perspective, expect construct a few web sites and send
> lots of email. We are actors! Don't you all get it? This is political
> theater! A glorification and transformation of the fake into the real, at
> least in people's minds. As anyone who pays attention to the computer
> knows, we have moved from the age of calculation to the age of simulation.

No. This is where I think you take the theory too far. You are doing
something. Spin, hype, and acting in the media sphere is something. It is
not the wu-wei you (we) profess to be doing. You cannot write it (all
responsibility and accountability) away by saying your not doing nothing.
At the very least you are liasing with the american imperial state
(nytimes, new york university, etc.) and informing them about your own
perceived impressions, analysis, blah blah blah about revolution, fear,
and destruction of digital captialist society --- yikes!!

But seriously, you are doing quite a lot, and that's the issue here. I
think done well it could garner a lot of well earned respect and
enthusiasm, not to mention the opportunity to inspire. However the project
of ecd and 'electronic activism' needs to discussed and experimented with
much more openly. Which means open to intense and hostile criticism.

> So, the question then becomes, how do we use this same model of the
> simulated threat to generate hysteria, panic, confusion, worry, and fear
> among ruling elites who may have some power over state authorities who in
> the end have power over Mumia's life? How do we create virtual entities,
> unreal realities, smoke and mirrors? Isn't this what theater is all about?
> Isn't politics at its heart about theater? Isn't there some reason why we
> are called the Electronic Disturbance Theater? Is this not so plain to see?

You are make a disasterous political decision to attempt to induce those
qualities into the body you call 'elite', as for what television and mass
media has demonstratd is that 'elite' in fact is very large, and whatever
emotions they feel, the rest of the society often does, or is affected by.

So why not pursue the exact oppsite: focus your attention not on the
'elite' but on the 'people'. Rally the many against the few, rather than
the few against the few (many?). Tao.ca does not spend it's
(organizational) time inducing fear into the ruling class, we're too busy
doing the day-to-day work of help to facilitate a resistance to and
departure from the decaying hegemony of cannibalistic capitalism. We work
with real people, who live in real places.

> To the hyperparanoid and staid left, at this point I must say you need to
> get with the program. I don't mean to be glib. But if you want to be
> effective players in this game you need to be brought up to speed, and
> moving at the rate of Web-speed.

Stefan, what do you think we are doing? We (certainl I) spend each and
every day helping people 'get up to speed' whether that means internet
literacy or political literacy, that's my self chosen job dude? While you
prance around with your theatre, I'm working both in the technology
itself, and with the people who use and want to learn, not just about
technology, but about how our society is changing. We work hard, learning,
teaching, experimenting, doing, thinking, breathing, and living.

> What we are doing should be more
> transparent to you. We are tweaking, manipulating, and conjuring. Some call
> this magic. Magic, mythology, and power. How to fuck with people's minds.
> How to make it seem like you are doing one thing when in fact you are
> really doing something else. These are useful skills to have.

Play with fire and you will be burnt. Ever read J.R.R. tolkein's Lord of
the Rings? Remember golem? Remember what happens to those who wear the
ring too much. Are you aware of the effects of power?

> How do we invent an international cyberspacial liberation army?

I'm against armies. I'm wary of men who seek to 'invent' armies. And the
only armed or militarized force that I would tolerate would be one located
in physical proximity to my body that was working to help keep my
community safe from real and apparant threats posed by and from power.

> First by
> naming. How do we make power elites tremble? What do they care most about?
> Money. What do they worry most about? Loss of money. In what form is most
> money right now? Electronic and digital form. How do we make them worry
> about loss of digital capital? Inject simulated threat of fake
> internationial cyberspacial liberation army whose aim it is to attack
> digital capital infrastructure. Link to Y2K problem. Capitalize on
> millenium paranoia. Tweak. Manipulate. Simulate.

Look dude, the issue where I live, now that it's novemeber, and we've been
living with american style neo-conservative governments, is how to provide
for the homeless and poor now that the canadian winter is rolling head on.
The emotions of digital capitalist traders and the actions of make-believe
digital soldiers are not going to provide housing in my neighbourhood
tomorrow. So what are you doing about homelessness in newyorkcity or
austen texas?

> This is what we are talking about. How to do alot, virtually, without doing
> anything, really.

But you are doing things. Shit, you spent 4 hours today right? Let's talk
about what you're doing, and how you could do it better. Enough of this
clowning around through the dark, time to take responsiblity for your
actions.

> If we had an army of a thousand ghosts, then, maybe then......
> Gathering, arising, inciting, dispersing, disappearing.....

If you summon a thousand ghosts, 'they' will summon a million.
Always remember who you are and where you stand in the struggle.

jesse@tao.ca

> [...]
> >expression of inarticulate rage. It is also a waste of activists' limited
> >time. In addition, Philadelphia's death row has many other inmates
> >awaiting motions; their cases will not be helped by anti- death penalty
> >activists' efforts to aggravate the officials in whose hands their fates
> >rest.
> >
> >Your call to hack the Philadelphia Inquirer's website is downright
> >foolish. While the paper's performance on the Mumia case has been
> >miserable, one never knows when, or from where, a courageous reporter
> >might come forward to expose official hypocrisy. In his likely upcoming
> >federal trial, Mumia will need all the help he can get.
> >
> >FAIR has been documenting media bias in the Mumia case for years, and we
> >haven't written off the Inquirer (On other issues the Inquirer has been
> >one of best papers in the country.) On the contrary, we are approaching
> >the paper, and several other media outlets, with the documentary film
> >"MUMIA: A Case for Reasonable Doubt." We are sending out dozens of copies
> >hoping to reach a few journalists who might have a look back at the story.
> >A reporter whose work has been disrupted in the name of Mumia Abu Jamal
> >"supporters," will not be more receptive to our calls or the calls of
> >other folks working on this case.
> >
> >Finally, this is serious business. Careful consideration is required. =20
> >Consultation with those who have been on the case for years is important
> >too. When I asked Mumia's lead attorney, Leonard Weinglass about your call
> >for hacking, he expressed puzzlement that anyone would want to target the
> >Inquirer when Mumia's federal appeal is coming up, and he said "when a
> >mass movement was growing around Mumia's case in 1995, Mumia was very
> >concerned that people--out of emotion--might commit random acts of
> >violence or vandalism, I think this falls into that category."
> >
> >I hope you will reconsider, rescind this action and contact all your=20
> >correspondents as soon as possible.
> >
> >Steven Rendall Senior Analyst FAIR=20
> >
> >=A0
> >
> >--<fwd, from Stephan Wray>---------------------------
> >
> >HACKERS: HACK THESE WEB SITES NOW!!! ALTER CONTENT OR WIPE OUT SITE:=20
> >YOUR CHOICE.
> >
> >Supreme Court of Pennsylvania http://www.courts.state.pa.us/
> >
> >Govenor of Pennsylvania Tom Ridge=20
> >http://www.state.pa.us/PA_Exec/Governor/overview.html
> >
> >Fraternal Order of the Police, Philadelphia http://www.fop5.org/
> >
> >Philadelphia Inquirer http://www.phillynews.com
> >
> >FREE MUMIA ABU JAMAL
>

> ---
> #  distributed via nettime-l : no commercial use without permission
> #  <nettime> is a closed moderated mailinglist for net criticism,
> #  more info: majordomo@desk.nl and "info nettime-l" in the msg body
>

> 	TAO Communications Organizational Collective List
> 	To unsubscribe send an email to majordomo@tao.ca
> 	with the command: unsubscribe in the body of the email

	Jesse Hirsh - jesse@tao.ca -  http://jesse.tao.ca
	P.O. Box 108 Station P Toronto Ont M5S 2S8 Canada
	  IWW x346204 |--PGP--> http://jesse.tao.ca/pgp
		   Tao K'o Tao Fei Ch'ang Tao