Frank Hartmann on Fri, 5 Feb 1999 10:43:38 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Kittler translation

> RE: Kittler - Versuch einer Theorie der Hardware
>
> Felix: "Anyone interested in translating this?"

Friedrich Kittler is not only an interesting author, he also was a guest
professor at Stanford and should be very well able to contribute in
English to the nettime list, as the rest of its author with more or less
efforts (have to) do. I do not believe therefore, that it was him who
posted this since he does not interfere with any online discourse so
far. He has no website either (only his teaching class came up with
something the like, recently).

One of my first pieces I put on nettime was an introductry commentary to
exactly this Kittler text, which I dare to consider a little outdated by
now - why this text, now, from a Berlin discussion in 1996?

Anyway, here is the link to a more recent discussion of his theory, a
deconstruction of sorts, concerning the military origins of computing as
seen by FK:
"Vom Sündenfall der Software"
 http://www.heise.de/tp/deutsch/special/med/6345/1.html
- comments are very welcome.