Carl Guderian on Thu, 8 Apr 1999 20:42:50 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Digital Resistance: WWW War...

I'm glad you didn't offer hacking help, especially not beyond subversion
of enemy web servers or the odd denial-of-service attack. There are worse
possibilities, such as crippling Yugoslavia/Serbia's pipe to the rest of
the internet or disconnecting it completely, that would cut off Serbians
trying to communicate with friends and relatives outside.

If hackers want to join the war effort, they can help the internet do what
it was designed to do, which is route around malfunctions like Milosevic
and his goons (and NATO bombing of telephone offices). And elsewhere,
bypass zealous copyright lawyers and priggish lawmakers. I guess for
citizens of NATO member countries, keeping Serbia on the internet amounts
to "giving aid and comfort to the enemy," but it's not really a war, is
it?

---