Ivo Skoric on Fri, 23 Apr 1999 23:20:39 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> ivogram 042399

Ivo Skoric <ivo@reporters.net>
          Good diagnostics, bad medicine
          The Appeal from Novi Sad: Leave The Bridge Alone
          Re: no title

From: "Ivo Skoric" <ivo@reporters.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 14:11:17 +0000
Subject: Good diagnostics, bad medicine

 I like Marcos's analysis. I am trying to understand why European
powers follow the U.S. so sheepishly. And he is right about the stock
market: I follow it blindly to get the clues about how many bridges
will NATO bomb the next night - there is alawys more intense bombing
after the indexes go up and if they continue to go up, the CNN
continue to report the most intense bombing nights so far - every
consequtive night, and if the indexes turn down, then the bad weather
comes in justifying a night of lukewarm bombing. Also the Dollar can
buy ever more Euros since the air raids started....

One just would not expect from Zapatistas to react like  that - they
are perhaps pissed that the US won't bomb Mexican government that
oppresses them like Yugoslav Government oppresses Kosovo Albanians,
huhuhu.

And the medicine he offers at the end was tried and did not work.

ivo

March 20, 1999

DECLARATION OF THE ZAPATISTA NATIONAL LIBERATION FRONT AGAINST THE WAR IN
YUGOSLAVIA

STOP NATO'S AGGRESSION AGAINST THE PEOPLE OF SERBIA AND KOSOVO!

The bombardment decided on by the new lords of war and money and led by
the forces of NATO is not aimed at protecting the rights of the Kosovar
people, denied by the chauvinist Great Serbia policy of the Milosevic
government, but to further advance the goal of putting an end to the
borders that previously existed, in the terrain of national states as in
the international community.

With this action, the North American financial oligarchy, very sensitive
to the investment of capital in the military industry, brings to knees not
simply the people and governments of the Balkans, but all the governments
of Western Europe. There exists an inexorable relation between the
emergence of the euro and the European Union and the North American action
to place the various European governments in the position of pawns.

The Clinton government, but above all the financial oligarchy, dictates a
message to the world: there is no problem, large or small, that is not
under the aegis of the United States. At the same time a warning to
Europe: any process of transnational unity must be subordinate to North
American foreign policy. In this sense, the principal losers in this war
are France and Germany; placing in crisis, before its birth, the
possibility of an economic bloc that can compete with the United States.

The pain and oppression of the Kosovar people represents no more than an
excuse for the lords of money and war. The hypocritical stance is evident
in the manner in which the Kosovar peopleOs desires for independence were
denied at the Rambouillet conference, violating their elemental right of
self-determination guaranteed by the charter of the United Nations.

The bombing has not signified an improvement in the lives of the
inhabitants of Kosovo or a curtailment of the ideology of Great Serbia; on
the contrary, there are now hundreds of thousands of Kosovar refugees, and
the sentiments of ethnic purity in the rest of Yugoslavia have been
inflamed as never before.

The idea expressed by this cynicism disguised as humanitarianism--which
can be rendered: "Sometimes you have to make war to prevent war"--has been
proven completely false in the Balkans. Actually, it is necessary to make
war because it is great business; it is simply necessary to watch the
recent reactions of the various stock markets. The suffering of the
Kosovar people is worth several more points in the speculative indices.

The Zapatista National Liberation Front utterly repudiates the war of
Clinton and his European peons, Jospin, Blair, Shroeder, Aznar, etc., who
permit themselves to be used to consolidate United States world hegemony,
who have demonstrated the profound contempt they feel for the
international community and the national states of the world. Bombardment
of a civil population has never served a noble end.

At the same time we demand that the self-determination rights of the
people of Kosovo be guaranteed. The Kosovars of Albanian origin represent
80 percent of the population. After the death of Marshall Tito, the
Milosevic regime revived the ultra-nationalist ideology that oppresses
ethnic minorities, eliminated Kosovo's autonomy statute, impeded the use
of the Albanian tongue and repressed the traditions, culture and form of
social organization of the majority of the people of Kosovo. The criminal
bombardment cannot make us blind. Milosevic is a dictator. We can and
should oppose the bombardments as well as the tyrannical and oppressive
politics of Milosevic.

Under the same logic of defending the the right to autonomy and respect
between majorities and minorities that share the same territory, the FZLN
denounces the actions of terrorist groups supported by the international
oligarchies intent on crushing the rights of the Serb minority in Kosovo,
and supporting the war and the NATO bombardment.

The only exit that the FZLN proposes as ethically and humanly correct is
the nonintervention of external powers in the conflict. The ethnicities
which share the same territory in Kosovo are the only ones who, by means
of dialogue, can and should protect their rights of self-determination and
forms of coexistence.

No to the bombardment of Serbia!
Yes to self-determination for the Kosovar people!

No to NATO! No to Milosevic!

Zapatista National Liberation Front