Presidential Exploratory Committee on Thu, 6 May 1999 10:23:34 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Re: Foreign Policy - U.S. Aid - Two Americans trapped in Egypt.....

     [orig to <Jim Sorenson <sorenson@infinity.com.eg>>]

Dear Jim, Sandra, the "Fluff," and assorted companies doing petroleum
business in Egypt,

Your plight gets sadder and sadder. It was at first a mystery to us
why the American government wasn't helping you out. We, like you,
would have imagined the purpose of the U.S. embassy in Cairo to be to
encourage American entrepreneurs such as yourself, to help them along
in forging their destiny on foreign shores. This, at least, has
historically been the mission of the U.S. embassies, and a prime aim
of the U.S. government--to create a buffer against foreign quirks for
those seek to profit from foreign situations. People such as
yourselves (not counting the "Fluff") used to be considered the "front
line" in the battle for U.S. business supremacy--you know, Manifest
Destiny and all that....

The reason for government apathy in your case must be that people such
as yourselves are no longer the "front line," no longer considered by
U.S. business interests (nor, hence, by the U.S. government) to be
important. Apparently it is only necessary any more to help big
American multinationals, which are (a) much easier to help, and (b)
offer lower risk and higher yields.

Let's face it: whether or not we like the idea of American
entrepreneurs such as yourselves feeling entitled to a slice of Egypt
(dollop? pat?), it's clear they're on a different scale from the big
multinationals (such as your petroleum company clients). Those
companies do not need police protection for their persons and
property--they build fortresses, they hire small armies of bodyguards,
etc. We think it likely that the U.S. embassy, devoted as it is to
helping American business, is just not set up to deal with business on
a scale smaller than the humongous, not set up for personal safety
issues and so on. Also, those multinationals are so big and important,
now, that they're pretty reliable, they're a better "investment." Not
that your operation is fly-by-night--it's just not as stable as Shell.
Social Darwinism.

You have businesses that help others exploit Egypt, and this perhaps
makes the Egyptians angry at you, but your businesses aren't big
enough for the U.S. government to care about your welfare. This is
doubly sad, but it does make sense.

>The military
>seems to produce people who still retain, even here, a sense of decency and
>honor.

In the event the U.S. position changes--say, because your big
petroleum clients ask it to--this will be a useful tidbit for
planners. Most often when the U.S. overthrows a Third World government
or applies great pressure to it, it does so by means of the army.
Please file this under "important."

>Thank you for your careful reading of the web material we have put up and
>the thoughtful comments.

We're happy that our careful reading made you happy. We, however, have
just realized how sloppy we were. We've since been reading up a bit on
Egypt, and we just realized that when we wrote

>People go to Egypt, they enjoy the noted ziggurats, they swim in the Volga, they
>attend to the hippos lolling about in Lake Mead and think of all the glorious
>history enmeshed in these things.

we were in serious error on several counts. The ziggurats of Egypt are
not so well known as we thought (and are more commonly known as
Pyramids), and to get to the Volga from there requires quite a long
jet trip, not worth it just for a swim. As for Lake Mead, it is in the
U.S. Southwest, and there are no hippos there. To attend to the hippos
lolling there, you would have to first get to Lake Mead (even further
than the Volga, but admittedly more pleasant to swim in) and then
bring in some hippos--an even bigger matter than getting your boat
through the Suez Canal.

At the risk of making your life even more kafkaesque than it is, we
must at this point suggest that you take your concerns to someone who
can do something about them. Short of getting a strong, willful, anti-
capitalist or anti-American leader elected in Egypt, there probably
isn't much you can do to make the situation change as much as we have
suggested, U.S.-participation-wise. But perhaps if you write many
letters to (a) journalists at business reviews, (b) officials in
agencies, (c) good solid American candidates like Al Gore and George
W. Bush, etc., something may happen, someone may be able to do
something for you. Who knows?

Best of luck with the book.

Earnestly,
Roy and Liz

Presidential Exploratory Committee: Your efforts redeemed
http://www.gwbush.com/

---