t byfield on Wed, 19 May 1999 21:42:31 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Amazon knuckles under to Church of Scientology

    [it seems as though Amazon.com has decided not to sell a book
     that's extremely critical of the Church of Scientology 'as a
     result of legal issues.' given the Co$'s long history of vig-
     orously pursuing its interests through legal proceedings--in
     other words, terrorizing its enemies--it'd be a shame to let
     them have their way so quietly with Amazon. the book in ques-
     tion is John Atack, _A Piece of Blue Sky_ (Carol, 1990; ISBN
     081840499X). (forwarded with permission and encouragement to
     circulate far and wide.) --cheers, tb]

To: silent-tristero@world.std.com
From: Chris Leithiser <cleithis@bc.cc.ca.us>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 12:04:34 -0700
Subject: Amazon Com censoring booklist?

I mentioned in an S-T discussion a few weeks ago that I was having a
"philosophical disagreement" with Amazon.com, but wasn't specific at
that time (although I did explain to a few individuals who mailed me
privately).

I think it's time to explain further.

I learned through the newsgroup alt.religion.scientology that the book
"A Piece of Blue Sky," by Jon Atack, had disappeared from the online
catalog at Amazon.  The book is available at Barnes&Noble, among others,
so it's not a matter of being "out of print."  (In fact, "oop" books at
Amazon should bring up a screen indicating that you can back-order them
from used bookstores.  "Blue Sky" doesn't.)

This was particularly intriguing because the cult has a long history of
threatening litigation over this particular book, considered one of the
best sources for information about $cientology.  They also have been
known to steal/vandalize it on public library shelves.

I provided the ISBN information to Amazon and, after two weeks, checked
back to discover that the book is still not listed.

I wrote a letter of complaint and received the following reply.  (Name
withheld by me).

To me, this goes beyond Amazon's playing fast-and-loose with reader
reviews.  It appears that "A Piece of Blue Sky" has been declared an
unbook.

I am doubleplus unhappy.

Thank you for writing to us at Amazon.com.

Amazon.com is a retailer and does not engage in censorship.  Our goal
is to provide as broad a selection of books, CD, and videos as
possible to our customers.  However, there are times when we must
remove titles from our catalog for legal reasons.  Typical examples of
legal situations that may require us to remove items from our catalog
include copyright violations and findings of libel or defamation.

I hope this information is helpful.  Please let us know if you have
any further questions or concerns--we'll be glad to hear from you.

Best regards,

<name withheld>
Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/