nettime on Wed, 30 Jun 1999 11:07:43 +0200 (CEST)

yahoo indigestion: cultural tenant farming [digest: roving,neilsen]

<nettime-l-temp@material.net> is the temporary home of the nettime-l list
while desk.nl rebuilds its list-serving machine.  please continue to send
messages to <nettime-l@desk.nl> and your commands to <majordomo@desk.nl>.
nettime-l-temp should be active for approximately 2 weeks (11-28 Jun 99).

Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 20:28:07 +0100
From: nettime's_digestive_system <nettime@desk.nl>
Subject: yahoo: cultural tenant farming [digest: roving, neilsen]

Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 11:12:33 -0100
From: nettime's_roving_reporter <nettime@desk.nl>
Subject: declan mccullaugh for wired news: 'yahoo: your house is my house'

     <http://www.wired.com/news/print_version/20472.html>

   Yahoo: Your House Is My House
   by Declan McCullagh
   3:00 a.m.  29.Jun.99.PDT
   If you're a GeoCities homesteader, be warned: Your Web site is no
   longer your own.

   Yahoo, which launched its Yahoo-GeoCities site Monday, says it owns
   all Web pages, articles, and images on member sites and has
   "irrevocable" rights to them for all time.

   This presents a problem for those GeoCities members who have
   painstakingly assembled large sites with dozens, even hundreds, of
   pages of valuable material.

   "Somebody please tell me that this does not mean that Yahoo is
   demanding the rights to a large portion of my professional writing and
   photography if I use my Web site there," complained Tracy Marks, who
   estimates that she has 600 Web pages and 23 MB of files on GeoCities.

   To create or update GeoCities pages, members must agree to a contract
   that gives Yahoo broad rights over their intellectual property.

   Under its terms of service, publishers must give Yahoo a
   "royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive and fully
   sublicensable right and license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt,
   publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform
   and display such Content" in any form or media.

   Yahoo defends the terms in the contract, saying it's trying to prevent
   itself from being sued over copyright infringements and wants the
   ability to promote its service.

   Consumer advocates say Yahoo has gone too far.

   "It's a bad idea. People don't read the fine print on these contracts.
   People will give up intellectual property to Yahoo without
   understanding what they're getting into," said Jamie Love of the Ralph
   Nader-affiliated Consumer Project on Technology.

   "People have made investments by promoting their site and people start
   to link to them. They're changing the rules in midstream," Love said.

   Legal experts say that it's likely Yahoo will change its mind.

   "I bet that once it comes to light, they'll modify it. They can't get
   away with it. They'd have people leaving in droves," said David Post,
   a law professor at George Mason University who teaches intellectual
   property law.

   "My prediction is that Yahoo will say, 'That's not what we intended.
   We don't really want to do all these things with their content. We had
   it as an insurance policy,'" Post said.

   Some scholarly journals have standardized similar contracts that are
   even more restrictive: They require authors to give up all rights to
   the publication. But as authors began to want to post their writings
   on their Web sites, journals have started to become more flexible.

   Yahoo will let users keep their existing GeoCities pages under the old
   contract, but customers cannot modify their site until they agree to
   the revised terms of service.

   Some other Web page-hosting services have similar contracts. Tripod,
   which is owned by the parent company of Wired News, requires its users
   to grant it "a royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, nonexclusive,
   worldwide, unrestricted license to use, copy, modify, transmit,
   distribute, and publicly perform or display the submitted Member Web
   Page."

   Copyright © 1994-99 Wired Digital Inc. All rights reserved.