fokky on Tue, 3 Aug 1999 00:08:09 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> The Weekender 098

   . The Weekender ...................................................
   . a weekly digest of calls . actions . websites . campaigns . etc .
   . post announcements & notes -> mailto:announcer@simsim.rug.ac.be .
   . please don't be late ! delivered each weekend . into your inbox .
   . archive (separate msgs) http://www.egroups.com/group/announcer/ .

01 . PGA Secretariat           . Last call to 2nd PGA Conference
02 . Robin Hamman              . Invitation to Join: The Cybersociology
                                 Mailing List
03 . partha                    . Online Exhibition on Migrant Labour
04 . Eyebeam Atelier           . Ready to PLAY?
05 . ?                         . LIVE EVENT
06 . transmediale              . transmediale 2000 CALL FOR ENTRIES
07 . Marike Maring             . International Workshop on LocalNets
08 . John Armitage             . PAUL VIRILIO SESSION AT BIRMINGHAM?
09 . Ian C.Dawkins-Moore       . Fwd: 1999 Cin(E)-Poetry Festival
10 . Richard Barbrook          . [cybersalon] PASSENGER: saturday night
11 . centre.culturel.ostabat   . santiago de compostela, online
                                 interviews, 31/7/99
12 . Melentie Pandilovski      . SEAFair '99

   ................................................................... 01

From: PGA Secretariat <pga@agp.org>

            LAST CALL for the

           SECOND CONFERENCE OF
          PEOPLES' GLOBAL ACTION
  AGAINST 'FREE' TRADE AND THE WTO (PGA)

As mentioned in previous announcements, the second PGA conference will
take place in Bangalore (India) from the 23rd to the 26th of August 1999.
It will be preceded by roundtable discussions (from the 20th to the 22nd)
and accompanied by two rounds of study trips to areas of struggle in
Southern India (15th-19th and 27th-31st August).

The main objective of the second conference of PGA will be to start an
open debate between social movements and activists about:
* what functions a tool for international communication and coordination
like PGA should fulfil
* how the network should operate

In its fifteen months of existance, PGA has been functioning mainly by the
initiative of relatively few movements and activists, although it enjoys
the support of many more. Now it is time to
* look back at the achievements and failures of this period,
* analyse how things have been done (and not done) in the first phase of
this process,
* rethink what kind of international communication and coordination is
wished/needed by those who identify themselves with the network, and
* discuss how to improve the PGA process to get it closer to what we want
it to be.

Of course, this debate will take place on the basis of the four hallmarks
of the PGA:
* rejection of global capitalism and its regulating mechanisms, such as
the
WTO;
* a confrontational attitude towards them - neither lobby nor reformism;
* a call to non-violent direct action, civil disobedience and the
construction of local alternatives by local communities;
* an organisational philosophy based on decentralisation and autonomy.

Another important aim of the conference is to prepare the global
resistance to the Third Ministerial Conference of the World Trade
Organisation (WTO), which will take place in Seattle (USA) from the 29th
of November to the 3rd of December 99. This conference is expected to mark
the starting point of a new round of negotiations (the so-called
Millennium Round) aimed at expanding the powers of the WTO regime,
strengthening the private property over life forms, accelerating the
destruction of the peasantry due to the liberalisation of agricultural
trade, and inserting a MAI-like agreement into the WTO regime. Diverse
groups and organisations in the USA are now preparing a caravan of
representatives of movements from different continents just before the WTO
conference, to raise awareness about these issues (contact
PGA_Seattle99-owner@listbot.com for more details).

Finally, the conference will revise the PGA manifesto and elect a new
convenors' committee.

The roundtable discussions before the conference will serve different
purposes: meeting movements and activists working in the same issues,
elaborating proposals for changes in the manifesto, discussing the latest
developments in the 'anti-globalisation networks' etc. The study trips
before and after the conference will offer an opportunity to get to know
the struggles of the Adivasi (indigenous peoples of India), to meet
farmers' movements opposing the caste system, biotechnology, 'free' trade
and environmental destruction, to visit the fight against big dams and
multinational corporations, to support Adivasi women squatting a US bank,
etc.

There is the possibility to travel to the PGA conference for a reduced
price if you make up your mind quickly. Some examples of the best rates
that we have found until now are (for a return trip to Bombay, flying in
August and with an open date of return):
* from Frankfurt, Rome, Paris or London for DM 750 to 825 (US$ 400 to
445);
from most other European capitals for around DM 920 to 1000 (US$ 500 to
540);
* from NY, Boston, Philadelphia, Washington etc for about US$ 990; from
Toronto, Ottawa, LA, San Francisco etc for about US$ 1090.
(the rates for other continents are unfortunately higher - excepting Asia
and the Pacific, where the rates are quite variable).

If you arrive just before the first session of study trips we will also
arrange for you the transport from Bombay to Bangalore as well as visits
to farmers' organisations on the way.

To obtain more information please visit www.agp.org or send an empty email
to bangalore_en@artamis.org and you will get automatically a comprehensive
set of information on the conference, the roundtable discussions, the
study trips, the flights to India, the participation fees, etc. (If this
does not work, please email pga@agp.org)

Peoples' Global Action 		pga@agp.org
against 'Free' Trade 		www.agp.org
and the WTO (PGA)