mediafilter on Mon, 23 Aug 1999 08:52:43 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> FBI wants to hack your PC (fwd)

It is very possible that this is already common practice in the US
under the FISA (Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act) and this is
just a step to make it "legal" to spy domestically on US Citizens
who are NOT in contact with "foreign nationals".

(see:  http://mediafilter.org/caq/Caq53.court.html )

There are very disturbing results of FISA surveillance and
prosecution as reported by Paul DeRienzo and Joan Moosie
on the Squillacote-Stand case.

[...]

       In 1996, the FBI began a 24-hour surveillance of Stand,
       Squillacote and Clark, which lasted for nearly two years. The
       surveillance intruded into all aspects of their lives, including
       their family, health, relationships, finances and professional
       work. Most seriously, the surveillance targeted direct
       conversations with Squillacote's psychiatrist and included a
       hidden microphone in her bedroom recording conversations
       with her husband. The FBI also prepared a psychological
       profile of Squillacote, identifying what they perceived to be
       her vulnerabilities.

[...]

(see: http://shadow.mediafilter.org/shadow/S44/s44sting.html )

This is just another step in the erosion of our privacy and one more
step toward an oppressive total-surveillance society.

--Paul Garrin

>Justice Dept. Mulls Covert-Action Bill
>
>By Robert OHarrow Jr.
>Washington Post Staff Writer
>Friday, August 20, 1999; Page A1
>
>The Justice Department wants to make it easier for law
>enforcement authorities to obtain search warrants to
>secretly enter suspects' homes or offices and disable
>security on personal computers as a prelude to a wiretap or
>further search, according to documents and interviews with
>Clinton administration officials.

[...]

#  distributed via nettime-l: no commercial use without permission of author
#  <nettime> is a moderated mailinglist for net criticism,
#  un/subscribe: majordomo@bbs.thing.net and
# "un/subscribe nettime-l you@address" in the msg body
#  archive: http://www.nettime.org/ contact: <nettime@bbs.thing.net>