nettime_announcer on Sun, 24 Oct 1999 16:00:41 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> announcer 99.43 [c]

                                                                   - - - - - - -
     . . .                                                         | 9 9 . 4 3 |
                                                                   - - - - - - -

                                                   <nettime> announcer   |  a
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - |  c <<

                                                                         - - - -
          Dmytri Kleiner <dmytrik@syntac.net> : >> idio-audio Radio >>   | 1 1 |
                                                                         - - - -
                   Faith Wilding <74447.2452@compuserve.com> : SubRosa   | 1 2 |
                                                                         - - - -
  Andreas Broeckmann <abroeck@v2.nl> : Urban Agency - Urban Strategies   | 1 3 |
                                                                         - - - -
                Matthew Drutt <mdrutt@guggenheim.org> : BRANDON UPDATE   | 1 4 |
                                                                         - - - -
      Arthur Fournier <ajfournier@hotmail.com> : Synesthetic Education   | 1 5 |
                                                                         - - - -
        David Mandl <dmandl@panix.com> : Live Radio Play, Sunday 10/24   | 1 6 |
                                                                         - - - -
Aleksandar Gubas <gutwine@yahoo.com> : e-mail experience phenomenology   | 1 7 |
                                                                         - - - -
     communimage <invitation@communimage.ch> : the communimage project   | 1 8 |
                                                                         - - - -
     IMMANENCE <rosas37@dialdata.com.br> : living on the net III - LOG   | 1 9 |
                                                                         - - - -
                   Janet Owen <janet_owen@hotmail.com> : Art In Motion   | 2 0 |
                                                                         - - - -
    Stefano Giovanazzi <stefano.giovanazzi@acd.it> : A videoproduction   | 2 1 |
                                                                         - - - -
                                     subk@xs4all.nl : D E E P  F L A T   | 2 2 |
                                                                         - - - -
                                    anonymous@hotmail.com : no subject   | 2 3 |
                                                                         - - - -

 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - |

                                delivered each weekend into your inbox   |

                                        mailto:nettime-l@bbs.thing.net   |

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 1 1 |
                                                                         - - - -

[For good luck, forward this magic eFlyer to other interested parties]

                IDIO-AUDIO Radio declared "Most fucked up show on the
                'net" by the Toronto Cacophony Society, "Far beyond
                the pale of the mainstream"

                     ///  IDIO-AUDIO
... a weekly online  ///     {{ Radio }}      \ /
 conspiratorial salon <----------------------- * -
                                              / \
                        6 PM - 7 PM
  !! Every Friday !!

  < PsuedoNeoDadaSitu    -->  WBCQ "The Planet"   [ http://wbcq.net/ ]
    Electrobohemia    >    -->  7,415 kHz Shortwave
                            -->  Broadcasting to the World!

    ... and new interfaces will be added as the
     IDIO-AUDIO Radio Broadcast Network expands
     like a fungus across all known media.

 psychogeographical unitary urbanism detournement wrapped
 in an enigma of automatic everything.

                                Tune in live every friday!!!

An Idiosyntactix Incident....

                                 *
                            *   O
                             I I
                        * r a d i o *
                             U I
                            A   O
                           *     *

                           *
                            r   *
                             a I
                        * A U d I O *
                             I i
                            O   o
                           *     *

                           *     *
                            A   r
                             U a
                          * I d I O *
                             i I
                            o   O
                           *     *

        Proletarian revolutions will be festivals or nothing,
        for festivity is the very keynote of the life they announce.
        Play is the ultimate principle of this festival, and the
        only rules it can recognize are to live without dead time
        and to enjoy without restraints.
                                               - Mustapha Khayati

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 1 2 |
                                                                         - - - -

Subrosa invites you to check out its new webpage:
http://www.artswire.org/subrosa

RESEARCH!  ACTION!  EMBODIMENT!  SOCIALITY!

subRosa's name honors feminist pioneers in art, activism, labor, and politics:
Rosa Bonheur, Rosa Luxemburg, Rosie the Riveter, Rosa Parks.

manifestation

subRosa is a reproducible (cyber)feminist* cell of cultural researchers
committed to combining art, activism, and politics to explore and critique the
effects of the intersections of the new information and biotechnologies on
women's bodies, lives, and work.

subRosa  produces  artworks, activist campaigns and projects, sneak attacks,
publications, media interventions, and public forums that make visible the
effects of the interconnections of technology, gender, and difference;
feminism and global capital; new bio and medical technologies and women's
health; and the changed conditions of labor and reproduction for women in the
integrated circuit.

subRosa  practices a situational embodied feminist politics nourished by
conviviality, self-determination, and the desire for affirmative alliances and
coalitions.

*cyberfeminism is a promising new manifestation of feminismS which addresses
the changing political,economic, and personal conditions of women's lives due
to the new  digital technologies.

Let a million subRosas bloom

SubRosa self-organizing  starter tips:

Start a subRosa cell!. subRosa cells organize around local/global biomedical ,
biotechnological, and environmental developments, and their effects on women's
health, reproduction, and working conditions. The cells act autonomously, and
they can also activate an international network of feminist support,
information, and action through the Internet. SubRosa cells reproduce and
mutate according to local conditions, needs, and desires.

Use the subRosa logo!  subRosa invites you to use this logo and name to create
solidarity, connection, confusion, and multiplicity. subRosa opposes exclusive
authorship, ownership, and copyright, and encourages collaboration,
difference, gift economy, detournement, and collective invention.

Connect to subRosa !  subRosa works situationally within given localities, and
it communicates, manifests, and connects globally. Each new subRosa cell
becomes part of an emergent subRosa organism. Since there is no centralized
bureaucracy, agenda, office, or fixed membership, there is no telling where
this self-organization may lead.

Help build a subRosa network!

subRosa is linked to a cultural research and production project on Sex,
Gender, and the Biotech century at the STUDIO for Creative Inquiry, Carnegie
Mellon University.

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 1 3 |
                                                                         - - - -

A cooperation by V2_Organisation / Zaal De Unie / Knowbotic Research

Urban Agency - Urban Strategies

Zaal De Unie, Rotterdam, 1 - 5 November 1999

Urban Agency - Urban Strategies

The lecture series will concentrate on the changes that take place in a
city, or 'the urban', under the influence of new technologies. Production,
transportation, distribution, communication, etc., radically change the
economic, cultural and political structures and flows. The city is no
longer seen as an architectural whole, but as a field of intersecting
layers and processes. The lecture series will approach this subject by way
of five different topics, one for each evening. The central question of the
series is to what extend new technologies facilitate new possibilities for
acting and intervening in urban situations. Besides analyses of urban
planning, economic, cultural and social changes in the city, the series
raises the question of the 'rooms for manoeuvre' (speelruimte, latitude)
and the instruments through which the inhabitants can take their influence
on urban processes.

Project coordination: Andreas Broeckmann, V2_Organisatie <abroeck@v2.nl>
For further information, check: http://www.v2.nl/urbantendencies

Topics

The Urban Agency - Urban Strategies series of lectures has the following
topics:

Monday, 1st November:           Introduction: Urban Tendencies
Tuesday, 2nd November:          Public Agency
Wednesday, 3rd November:                New Economy
Thursday, 4th November:         Immaterial Labour
Friday, 5th November:                   Connective Tools

Programmes start at 20.30 hrs. Entrance fee: fl 12,50 / 10,00.
Location: Zaal De Unie, Mauritsweg 35, Rotterdam
(exception: Wed. 3 Nov. at Goethe Institut Rotterdam, Westersingel 9)

*Urban Tendencies* includes a presentation of the plans that
V2_Organisation is developing under this title for its project in 2001, and
a audio-visual presentation of the projects by Knowbotic Research, placing
an emphasis on the IO_Dencies series.
Participants: Alex Adriaansens, Andreas Broeckmann (V2_Organisation,
Rotterdam), Christian Hübler, Yvonne Wilhelm (Knowbotic Research, Köln)

*Public Agency* raises the question of public space as a site of action and
intervention. What are the old and the new spaces that allow for acting 'in
public', and what kinds of action constitute these new 'public spaces'?
What are the cultural strategies for appropriating these spaces?
Participants: Jeanne van Heeswijk (artist, NL), Kristin Feireiss (NAi,
D/NL), Frédéric Migayrou (philosopher, F).

*New Economy* is based on the assumption that new technologies create a new
cultural economy and a new social aesthetics. The transformation of the
public domain brings about a redefinition of politics, of citizenship, and
of the subject who has to invent new forms of agency and participation.
Participants: Bert van Meggelen (architectural theorist, director of RCH
2001, NL), Henk Oosterling (philosopher, NL), Michael Hardt (philosopher,
USA)

*Immaterial Work* describes forms of labour that are not based on
established notions of production, but on actions which precede the
production of goods and which allow for the evolvement of social relations,
modes of living and of subjectivation. The evening discusses the hypothesis
that there is a broad and significant shift towards 'immaterial' forms of
labour, and addresses its potential social, political and philosophical
consequences.
Participants: Maurizio Lazzarato (political scientist, I/F), Hans-Ulrich
Reck (art theorist, D), Ido Verhagen (political scientist, De Balie, NL)

Connective Tools are the tools of communication and artistic creation that
are based on network technologies. They enable new forms of collaboration
with their own, specific artistic forms. The evening will address the
cultural and the aesthetic potentials of such new interfaces and the role
that artists are playing in the development of interfaces that go beyond
the functional and the useful.
Participants: John Thackara (design theorist, NVI, UK/NL), Siegfried
Zielinski (media historian, director KHM Köln, D), Michiel Schwarz
(cultural theorist, NL)

*IO_Dencies Rotterdam* - The lecture series is closely connected to a
workshop, which will be organized during the same week in cooperation with
the V2_Lab. During this workshop, the artist group Knowbotic Research
(Köln/D) will do research for their project I0_Dencies - Questioning
Urbanity. This is a long-term art project in which new technological models
are sought for discourse of and the interaction with 'the urban'. Earlier
versions of the project have been realized in Sao Paolo, Tokyo, Venice and
Duisburg. (URL: http://io.khm.de). The workshop and the lecture series will
be a starting point for the Tendencies project that Knowbotic Research will
develop for 2001, Rotterdam Cultural Capital of Europe.

The lecture series and the workshop are organized as a part of the cultural
exchange program Kunst.NRW.NL - a cultural exchange project between
Nordrhein-Westfalen and the Netherlands.

_______________________________
Andreas Broeckmann - V2_Organisation
<abroeck@v2.nl> - www.v2.nl - www.v2.nl/syndicate
Eendrachtsstr. 10 - NL-3012 XL Rotterdam
tel. 0031-10-2067272; fax -2067271
also ----------------------------
Pfluegerstr.27, D-12045 Berlin, +49-30-6233293

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 1 4 |
                                                                         - - - -

Body of Evidence: October 20 - 24, 1999
In conjunction with London Transgender Film and Video Festival (October 20-24),
the "Body of Evidence" interface of the BRANDON project
(http://brandon.guggenheim.org) has been curated by Lisa Haskel and features new
contributions by four London-based  artists, Hans Scheirl, Matthew Fuller, Svar
Simpson and Del LaGrace Volcano. "Body of Evidence" takes as its point of
departure issues in Brandon/Teena Brandon's rape/murder case and reflects upon
broader institutional regimes of gender classification. During the festival, the
BRANDON project will be rendered as a four channel night time window projection
facing the street at the Lux Gallery, Hoxton Square, London.

Would the Jurors Please Stand Up?:  November 17-20, 1999
With the launch of "Body of Evidence," BRANDON announces a call for jurors to
participate in "ONLINE VIRTUAL COURT: An Experiment on Joint Decision Making and
Conflict Resolution on the Net." On trial are cases of sexual assaults that blur
the distinctions between male/female gender and actual/virtual space. Presented
by Society for Old and New Media in association with the Guggenheim Museum, the
virtual court sessions will be held publicly at Theatrum Anatomicum, De Waag,
Amsterdam and on the Net at http://brandon.guggenheim.org. Each Net trial
session consists of 8 JURORS and a moderator. The  jurors will be pre-selected
after completing a stress level test (provided by the Gender Identity Clinic)
and are required to study the documented cases that make up the trial. Jurors
will be expected to log on and off the Net for an assigned ONE HOUR trial
session. The session will be conducted as a series of votes on preformatted
question and answer forms. Issues will also be debated over scheduled SWEAT OUT
sessions. Legal council for the project: Lawrence Lessig(Harvard Law School),
Jennifer Mnookin(University of Virginia Law School),Kendall Thomas (Columbia Law
School) and B.M.J.van Klink (Katholieke Universiteit Brabant).

SUBMIT. COMMIT. SIGN ON AS JURORS. http://brandon.guggenheim.org

BRANDON, set up as an open ended narrative and launched in June 1998, is a
Guggenheim Virtual Museum commission that entails multi-artist, multi-author,
and multi-institutional collaboration both on and off the Web. The work will
continue to be updated and presented in a variety of forms around selected
special events and academic forums.

Brandon is curated by Matthew Drutt, Associate Curator for
Research, Guggenheim Museum, and produced in association
with the Society for Old and New Media, Amsterdam
(Carole Nevejan, Susan Oxenaar, curators), the Institute for Arts
and Civic Dialogue, Harvard University (Anna Deavere Smith,
artistic director; Andrea Taylor, director), and Banff Center for the
Arts, Alberta (Sara Diamond, director).

Funding for Brandon has been made possible by grants from The Bohen Foundation,
The Rockefeller Foundation, Moving Image Installation and Interactive Media
fellowship New York Foundation for the Arts' Computer Arts Fellowship, The New
York City Department of Cultural Affairs, and The Mondriann Foundation.

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 1 5 |
                                                                         - - - -

INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON
"SYNESTHETIC EDUCATION AND THE CULTURAL ORGANIZATION OF THE SENSES"
October 29-November 1, 1999
at the University of Chicago:
Sawyer Seminar on "Computer Science as a Human Science: The Cultural Impact
of Computerization"
<http://humanities.uchicago.edu/sawyer/CSasHS>

*****
FRIDAY, OCTOBER 29 from 5:00-6:30 pm, reception to follow
Social Sciences 122, 1126 East 59th Street (first floor lecture hall)
PLENARY LECTURE: SIMON PENNY, Art and Robotics, Carnegie Mellon University
"Modalities of Interaction: Embodiment and Digital Cultural Practice"

*****
SATURDAY, OCTOBER 30 at the Franke Institute for the Humanities,
        1100 East 57th Street, JRL S-118 (first floor, southeast wing)

PANEL ONE on FORMATIVE INTERACTIONS, 9:30 am - 12:00 noon
Chair: BARBARA STAFFORD, The University of Chicago
Discussant: YURI TSIVIAN, The University of Chicago
        RICHARD E. CYTOWIC M.D., "Computers are a Waste of Time"
        GENNADY UZILEVSKY, Orlovsky Institute of Law, "Computer-aided
Synesthetic Education in the Context of Semiotic Foundations of Integral
Personality Theory"
        MICHAEL O'DONNELL, The University of Chicago, "The Sources of
Certainty in Computation and Formal Systems"

PANEL TWO on VISUAL EMBODIMENTS, 2:00-4:30 pm with special workshop 5-5:45
pm
Chair: MARTA PTASYNSKA, The University of Chicago
Discussant: ANNETTE BARBIER, Northwestern University
        ANALIVIA CORDEIRO, dancer, choreographer and architect; and NILTON
GUEDES, Sun Microsystems of Brazil, "Nota-Anna: An Expression Visualization
System of the Human Body Movements"
        DAVID MCNEILL, The University of Chicago, "Cross-Modal Analysis of
Signal and Sense"
        DONALD D. HOFFMAN, University of California at Irvine, "Seeing
Digital: the Synergy of Human Senses and Digital Technology"

Movement Workshop from 5:00-5:45 pm led by ANALIVIA CORDEIRO

*****
SUNDAY, OCTOBER 31 at the Franke Institute for the Humanities
        1100 East 57th Street, JRL S-118 (first floor, southeast wing)

PANEL THREE on DIGITAL RITES, 10:00 am - 12:30 pm
Chair: BARBARA STAFFORD, The University of Chicago
        ERIC ZIMMERMAN, New York University, "Against Immersion"
        JOAN TRUCKERBROD, School of the Art Institute of Chicago, "Electronic
Ritual and Ceremony"

*****
MONDAY, NOVEMBER 1 at the Franke Institute for the Humanities
        1100 East 57th Street, JRL S-118 (first floor, southeast wing)

CONCLUDING ROUNDTABLE, 4:00-5:30 pm
        ANALIVIA CORDERIO AND NILTON GUEDES, DONALD HOFFMAN, GENNADY UZILEVSKY
The 1999-2000 Sawyer Seminar at the University of Chicago
"Computer Science as a Human Science: The Cultural Impact of
Computerization"
http://humanities.uchicago.edu/sawyer/CSasHS
sawyer-seminar@uchicago.edu

The Franke Institute for the Humanities
The University of Chicago
1100 East 57th Street, JRL S-102
Chicago, IL  60637

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 1 6 |
                                                                         - - - -

This Sunday, October 24: a live internet/radio broadcast:

"A brick--heh heh--a brick is neither here nor there.  Your death will
be different."--Satan

"The Master and Margarita: A Radio Play"
Based on the novel by Mikhail Bulgakov

With:
Blakely Braniff
Jeffery Doornbos
Michael McCartney
Bradford Olson
Sharon Unterman
Live commercials by Laurena Allan, Julie Rapoport and Jeffery Emerson

Directed by Megan Ryan
Written by Cami Delavigne
Original Score by Guy Finley
Sound Design by Perchik Miller

Date: Sunday, October 24
Time: 7:00 p.m. Eastern time

Broadcast live over the internet at www.wfmu.org

If you're in NYC, the actual performance will take place at:

Fez under Time Cafe, 380 Lafayette St., NYC
and live on WFMU radio (91.1 FM)

For more info: davem@wfmu.org

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 1 7 |
                                                                         - - - -

Dear friends!
There's a group of young Belgrade filmmakers planning to make a
feature DV movie. A part of the movie will deal with the cyberspace,
which should be designed in a brand new way, unseen on film to date.
You can help us in designing it, by answering the set of questions
following. We are very interested in your experiences in that field.
The questions are:

1. When receiving an e-mail from an unknown sender, do you always
have an idea of that person's physical appearance?
2. If you happen not to have a clue about the sender's physical
appearance, what kind of image is there in front of your very eyes?
3. Do you imagine the sender in the act of doing something (writing,
sitting, standing, walking), or is he or she just present there in a
way, doing nothing in particular?
4. How do you imagine the room where the sender is situated
(exterior/interior, light/darkness, in a furnished/in an empty room)?
5. Whose voice is the text of the unknown sender's e-mail "spoken"
by? Is there any voice?
6. When reading an e-mail sent by a person you know, what kind of a
room do you usually see him/her situated in?
7. Whose voice tells you the "spoken" text of the email sent by the
familiar sender?

Please send your answers to landofparadox@netscape.net
As the special contributor, your e-mail address will be credited on
the film when released (fall 2000).

If you want to learn more about the project, and possibly join its
friends' club, please write to gutwine@netscape.net

Thank you very much for your patience and good will!
"Jambouroo" film crew, Belgrade

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 1 8 |
                                                                         - - - -

      hi,

 we are happy to invite you to communimage, a large
 collective net..artwork...

 everybody can join, upload images or just watch this
 infinitely expanding patchwork of pictures...

      http://www.communimage.ch

 have a look around and choose the space to place your
 creation... it is very simple and self-explanatory!
 ..you can also send pictures by postcard, invite your
 friends or leave messages for other communimagists...

      . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
     "..actually, communimage is a huge playground.
      everyone entering can rave creatively..."
      by simone meier, tages-anzeiger, july 22,1999
      . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
      . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
      <"communimage KEYWORDS"="digital art,mosaic,
      patchwork,imagination,together,community,
      neighbour,friends,landscape,image of images">
      . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

 communimage started in july 99, today it has grown
 into a patchwork of more than 3000 unique pictures.
 ... each day, more and more people from all over the
 world are joining...

 we are looking forward to your image_ination!

      your communimage team

      calc            casqueiro atlantico laboratorio cultural
      johannes gees   ta-media online/expo.01
                      mailto:invitation@communimage.ch

 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
 communimage is a project of expo.01, the swiss national
 exhibition, in collaboration with ta-media online.
 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
     .                http://www.communimage.ch/e    english
     .                http://www.communimage.ch/f   francais
     .
     .
     .
     .
     . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
     .subject: remove
     . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . .

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 1 9 |
                                                                         - - - -

web+event:

[I M M A N E N C E]
THE PLACED BODY
@
CASA DAS ROSAS

log #1:

The first 24 hours of immanence were inspiring: the artists are creating
and, little by little, letting themselves go by the new rhythm of life.
The morning was quite musical, with an improvised jam session of Marsicano's
zither and Leila D.'s percussion, each one in their own room.
During the afternoon, the house was full of visitors and surprises: Joăo's
performance as a shaman, along with Samira's instigating performance:
she dressed herself as an Egyptian and, with a steady look, stared at the
visitors.

by Eliana Grossmann

Immanence is not an exhibition,
but a process, a live experience.

The work of art is the person and not his product.

A small and tight physical space to live. A wide and large virtual
space to let their bodies experiment.

IMMANENCE is an experience conducted ON-LINE
by Lucas Bambozzi

IMMANENCE was conceived by brazilian artists
J.R. Aguilar and Renato Cohen and Lucas Bambozzi.

Casa das Rosas
Av. Paulista, 37
01311-902 - Sao Paulo SP - Brazil
rosas37@dialdata.com.br
http://www.dialdata.com.br/casadasrosas

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 2 0 |
                                                                         - - - -

Dear nettime:

I want to let you know about a new international festival of time based
media that I am currently organizing at the University of Southern
California in conjunction with the USC School of Fine Arts, The Annenberg
School of Communication and The SC/W Exposition. I am passing the details on
to you both for your information and in hopes that you will disseminate news
of this exciting event through your list serve. I have added a press release
and further information about the festival to the bottom of this message and
would be very happy to address any queries or comments you may have. Thank
you so much,

Best Regards

Janet Owen

ART IN MOTION - A NEW INTERNATIONAL FESTIVAL OF TIME BASED MEDIA

                          CALL FOR ENTRIES

Send us your "time-based media" projects for a new international festival
that defies the traditional media boundaries. Art In Motion focuses on
innovation content and diversity. The criteria for entry is time base rather
than medium and therefore video, film and digital projects, websites,
CDRoms, animations etc. are all eligible. Hybrids are particularly welcome.

The festival will take place on January 28, 2000 on the University of
Southern California Campus. The deadline for entries is November 1, 1999.
There will be a $1000 "Best of Show' award along with several other prizes.
Rules and an entry form are available online at:

                http://www.usc.edu/go/aim

               or by calling (213) 740-ARTS

                           PRESS RELEASE

                       For Immediate Release

Contact: Jim Keller & Janet Owen, festival organizers

(213) 740-2787

(213) 740-8938: fax

aim@usc.edu

http://www.usc.edu/go/aim/

The University of Southern California School of Fine Arts today announced
its ground breaking new international festival of time-based media, 'Art in
Motion', with a call for entries.  The entry deadline will be November 1,
1999. Submissions are expected from around the world and the selections will
be screened at the festival on January 28, 2000 on the U.S.C. campus.

Unlike other festivals which limit entries on the basis of media the only
criteria for this event is that the work be time-based. "We anticipate
submissions will rage from 30 second CGI, through artists' video pieces,
animated shorts and web sites, to feature-length movies;" said festival
organizers Jim Keller and Janet Owen; "and any hybrids that slip between
these definitions are particularly welcome."

Ruth Weisberg, Dean of the University of Southern California School of Fine
Arts, describes the festival as catering to the new breed of garage film and
video makers, web jockeys and cross-over media artists. " Everywhere
image-makers and storytellers are seizing the opportunities offered by
advances in multi-media technology to create extensive projects without the
sanction of corporations, major funding bodies and studios," she said. "Big
themes are being tackled on shoestring budgets and the results cover a
spectrum from raw urgency to sophisticated polish."

"There is an explosion of 'grassroots' creativity that is crashing the
traditional barriers between disciplines," added Owen. "The galleries try,
but they just can't accommodate the diversity of this type of work and the
film and video festivals are dominated by Hollywood sensibilities. Art in
Motion is a place for the work to be seen."

"AIM will focus on the creative and expressive potential of film, video,
animation, and interactive media," stress Owen and Keller. " This is a
festival about content and energy, not polish or commercial viability."

"This will be a truly international event," added Keller. "Information on
the festival is being sent to organizations throughout Europe, Asia and the
Americas."

Entrants will compete in four categories: Features, Shorts, Animation, and
Interactive/New Media.  A $1,000 award will be given for the one work
selected as Best of Show, and one First Prize will be awarded in each
category.  Bruce Hainley, Artforum contributor, writer, critic and curator
and acclaimed filmmaker John Sanborn make up two of the trio of Art In
Motion judges. The third judge; a prominent professional in the fields of
video and media experimentation; is yet to be confirmed.

Anyone wishing to have information on entering the festival can either visit
the Art in Motion web site at http://www.usc.edu/go/aim/ or call the U.S.C.
School of Fine Arts at (213) 740-ARTS and request printed information be
sent to them.

Information on festival tickets and schedules will be posted on the web
site, http://www.usc.edu/go/aim/ at a later date.

The Art in Motion Festival will be part of the USC millenium exposition
entitled Southern California In The World/The World In Southern California,
or SC/W for short. Details can be found on the SC/W website at
http://www-rcf.usc.edu/~scw/.

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 2 1 |
                                                                         - - - -

> Numero Civico Production presents:
>
> "In those places near the beach"
> a film project
> by Stefano Arienti and Alessandra Tortarolo.
> On occasion of the International Biennale of Art in Venice, we are
> really happy
> to invite you at the introduction or the project that will take place
> on Friday the fifth of November 1999 at Giardini Castello c/o Italian
> Pavillon/Oreste Space.
> The meeting will be an occasion to know each other an to show what you
> are doing.
> The first twenty people who confirm  the participation by the thirtieth
> of October,
> will have a pass for the Oreste Space and the Biennale.
> For the people who can't participate but are interested in getting some
> more information
> about the project, they can send a messagge to zizol@tiscalinet.it
> Get into the work
> http://www.webexpo.it/acd/eventi/1999/daquelle/indexe.html
> You are invited to spread the messagge and the link of the project
>
> "DA QUELLE PARTI VICINO ALLA SPIAGGIA"
> un film di Stefano Arienti e Alessandra Tortarolo.
> In occasione della Biennale Internazionale d'Arte a Venezia
> ai Giardini di Castello c/o il Padiglione Italia/Spazio Oreste
> venerdě cinque novembre 1999
> Vi invitiamo alla presentazione del progetto.
> L'incontro permetterŕ di conoscerci
> e di far conoscere quello che state facendo.
> Per le prime 20 persone che confermano la partecipazione
> entro il 30 ottobre ingresso con pass allo Spazio Oreste e alla Biennale
>
> Per chi non potrŕ essere presente ma č curioso di conoscere il progetto
> ed eventualmente di entrarci puň chiedere ulteriori informazioni
> inviando un messaggio a zizol@tiscalinet.it.
> Divulgate il messaggio e il link che segue.
> Entriamo nell'opera
> http://www.webexpo.it/acd/eventi/1999/daquelle/index.html
>
> Numero Civico Production
> via Vittorio Veneto 5
> 38068 Rovereto TN (Italy)
> stefano.giovanazzi@acd.it

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 2 2 |
                                                                         - - - -

D E E P  F L A T

Joke Robaard / Julika Rudelius / Vivianne Sassen / Martine Stig

Te zien in De Begane Grond, Utrecht van 29 oktober t/m 26 november 1999.
Opening: 28 oktober om 20.00 uur

Aan vier fotografen is gevraagd een werk te maken voor =E9=E9n van de
kamers in de Begane Grond. Naar aanleiding van een scenario (DEEP
=46LAT) hebben de deelnemers een discours ontwikkeld dat inhoud en
uiterlijk van de tentoonstelling heeft bepaald.

Het scenario handelt over een epilepticus die inzicht probeert te
krijgen in z'n omgeving en zijn eigen handelen. In =E9=E9n van de scenes
bevindt de hoofdpersoon zich in een park en ziet om zich heen antieke
beelden in Grieks/ Romeinse stijl. Hij merkt op dat de stilstaande
beelden in de tijd dat ze gemaakt zijn een van de weinige tastbare
bewijzen waren voor de aanwezigheid van een verheven werkelijkheid.
Inmiddels is het analoge en digitale stilstaande beeld niets
bijzonders meer, het is overal in de samenleving doorgedrongen
(billboards, tijdschriften, muziek clips). Hij vraagt zich af hoe een
moderne versie van de Grieks/Romeinse beelden er uit zou kunnen zien.
Langzaam begint hij te beseffen dat hij met z'n tegendraadse
spastische bewegingen het antwoord zou kunnen zijn op zijn eigen
vraag.

Aan de fotografen is gevraagd een eigen antwoord te formuleren op
deze en andere bespiegelingen uit het scenario. Vanzelfsprekend is
het scenario enkel een uitgangspunt en dient het niet als bewijslast
voor het  werk in de tentoonstelling. In DEEP FLAT wordt de positie
die de 4 fotografen innemen binnen hun eigen werk uitgelicht. Welke
verantwoordelijkheid nemen zij over het beeld dat zij tonen. De
voorwaarden voor het presenteren en representeren van hun werk worden
onderzocht: Naast de eigen presentatie in de kamers zullen zij een
confrontatie met elkaars werk aan gaan in de grote zaal van de Begane
Grond. Daar zal ook het scenario in 220 fragmenten gepresenteerd
worden.

=A9 Mikl=F3s Beyer / Thomas Bux=F3
Voor verdere informatie: Begane Grond 030-2316125 / subk@xs4all /
http://www.subk.nl