nettime_announcer on Sun, 31 Oct 1999 16:16:48 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> announcer 99.44 [b]

                                                                   - - - - - - -
   |||=R_=                                                         | 9 9 . 4 4 |
                                                                   - - - - - - -

                                                   <nettime> announcer   |  a

 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - |  b <<

                                                                         - - - -
               Hanna Suomalainen <hanna@katastro.fi> : eko.katastro.fi   | 0 6 |
                                                                         - - - -
       Mute Magazine <mute@metamute.com> : Fallout - 1st Nov 3pm (GMT)   | 0 7 |
                                                                         - - - -
             Zana Poliakov <zana@c3.hu> : cyberkitchen cyberfem school   | 0 8 |
                                                                         - - - -
                        Nadja Franz <n.franz@netsurf.de> : cryptoarts?   | 0 9 |
                                                                         - - - -
                             YuLin Chien <ulyjen@hotmail.com> : SWITCH   | 1 0 |
                                                                         - - - -
          Lee Bryant <Lee@tmg.co.uk> : Bosnian Institute Monthly Forum   | 1 1 |
                                                                         - - - -
Andreas Hagenbach <aah@mail.thing.ch> : cctv.ch / nomad from viper '99   | 1 2 |
                                                                         - - - -
  Casa das Rosas - IMMANENCE <rosas37@dialdata.com.br> : LOG #6 [last]   | 1 3 |
                                                                         - - - -
      dd <addfield@ath.forthnet.gr> : Deadline for Mediaterra festival   | 1 4 |
                                                                         - - - -
              Nebojsa Vilic <nvilic@bogomil.soros.org.mk> : invitation   | 1 5 |
                                                                         - - - -
Eric Kluitenberg <epk@xs4all.nl> : Full Play media / dance performance   | 1 6 |
                                                                         - - - -
                  yep <sylvieb@x-arn.org> : distance focale - 02/11/99   | 1 7 |
                                                                         - - - -

 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - |

                                delivered each weekend into your inbox   |

                                        mailto:nettime-l@bbs.thing.net   |

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 0 6 |
                                                                         - - - -

eko.katastro.fi is on-line, both in Finnish and in English. Please,
please fill out the inquiry: http://eko.katastro.fi

The World Wide Web project will be actualized from the 5th to the 11th of
November, 1999, in the project room at TEMP/Kiasma
http://www.kiasma.fi/temp. Doors will be open for the audience all the
time and everybody is wellcome.. The presence of the computers will be
softened by Anu Pennanen's video installation, "Walker" in which a woman
walks through 20 different landscapes.

Friday 5th November
Marko Yliniemi's documentary/music video "Earth Force/Maan Voimaa" on
alternative communities.
Discussion on: Communal apartment blocks

Saturday 6th November
Documentary "White Sky/Valkoinen taivas"
Discussion on: "How much can a human take"

Sunday 7th November
Discussion on: "Nature and Art"

We will also serve vegetarian food after the discussion. The evening will
end with the announcement of the people's choice for eco-criminal. There
will be a closing party in the project room from 18 to 22 with music, wine
and some snack.

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 0 7 |
                                                                         - - - -

Hi all,

If you want to witness Mute's paper feet dipping their first little toes in
the waters of Internet Audio... You need to know about:

--->

Fallout, an Internet radio location at www.gaialive.co.uk, produced by Kate
Rich in association with Mute, the magazine of culture and technology.

Go to: http://www.gaialive.co.uk

This month's Fallout:
1st November 3pm (GMT)
Episode #1: The Space Programme

This pilot programme features the following events:

(i) Tom McCarthy, General Secretary of the International Necronautical
Society, interviews Jason Skeet and Neil Gordon-Orr of the AAA (The
Association of Autonomous Astronauts) the world's first independent
community-based space exploration programme

(ii) Mary Lou Jepsen in conversation with Kate Rich about her plans to
project a moving image onto the Moon.

(iii) The eclipse according to Mute. the Mute team venture down to a
deserted Cornwall to eyeball in the totality

(iv) Rob La Frenais, curator at Artscatalyst, discusses zero-G flight with
the theatre director Dragan Zhivadinov while awaiting their takeoff from
the Russian space center at Star City.

"And much, much more..."

+CONTACT+
Mute: mute@metamute.com and/or
Kate Rich: katerich@infinex.com
++AVAILABILITY++
+++MADE BY+++
Kate Rich at ARC in Stocton on Tees, UK, and Mute in London, UK
++++THANKS TO++++
ARC, Northern Arts, Gaialive, Lovely and all the contributors
+++++THE END+++++

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 0 8 |
                                                                         - - - -

cyberkitchen cyberfem school
author - Zana Poliakov
with the greatest team of players Vanja Nikolic, Marcell Mars,
Teodor Celakoski and Igor Markovic
Multimedia Institut Lamparna, Labin, Croatia
held from 8. till 18.10. 1999.

Participants of this first workshop were mainly girls from Kosova,
Albania, Macedonia and Bosnia.
http://www.mi2.hr/cyberkitchen
 - presentation of their first web works

Accelerated culture demands the structure of permanent education for
those who would like to live in their Time,
according to their own Time. Short and intense workshops are quite popular
and useful way of getting and
developing knowledge, especially regarding new technology, computers.
Software gets older and older every day,
and one need to stay in the right track. The Balkan is not the region
where new technology rules, so, according to
the experience from Belgrade new media school,
called Against Windmills, specialized for the artists, the more of
those workshops we organize all around the region,
with more fruitfull and faster level of communication, it leads,
inevitably, to the more educated, more democratic, more literate,
and more tolerating society. Workshop lasts for 2
weeks, official language is English, lecturers from Balkan region
also as the students.

First part (5 days): BACK TO SCHOOL
Practical skills: Basic computer knowledge, coordination of the movements,
basic keystrokes, Microsoft Word and
using the computer as the typewriting machine, Microsoft Office and how can
be useful, and of, course, the thing
that has been declared as the technical literacy of today - Internet,
surfing, and electronic mail. First week ends with
ICQ party, coresponding and mailing between students and direct ICQ
advanced course through chat - usage of
new technology in vivo.
Theoretical ideas: Conflict-resolution methods, group dynamic ideas, basic
introduction to feminism, identity
theories, and feminist art
Plug&play: Cooking parties, and exchanging recipies, specialties from the
various regions, and small cooking
chitchatting- simple girls talks.

Second part (5 days): SOURCE
Practical skills: scanning, reshaping the scann in Photoshop, thinkig about
their/our own web pages. Front page
editor is visual editor and task is to prepare photos for web publishing,
and to build the page of their own. The
theme will be, of course, from the context of theoretical lectures which
will be quite easy implemented into the
technical education.
Theoretical ideas: On-line communication methods and moduses, basic
knowledge about virtuality, cyberfeminism
as a theoretical outlook, as a practical tool, and as an art practice
Plug&play: Cooking parties, and exchanging recipies, specialties from the
various regions, and small cooking
chitchatting- simple girls talks.

Along with the greater and faster emancipation of woman
it goes the rapid prosperity of computer technology.
Young woman in this workshop will learn to use the machines,
to be independent, and to live closely and successuful with
the new technology. They will also learn about some theory
thought about feminism, cyberfeminism, about computer mediated
communication: from a more theoretical viewpoint, the identity politics,
media critiques, and theories of representation that became the foundation
of Western tactical media. Along with all this knowledge they will become
more aware of their gender. And
what they can make of it.
Special attention will be focused on the ideas of conflict reso
lution, use of electronic technologies for establishing networks
and working in the area of crisis. During the recent years of conflict
 in the former Yugoslavia, the lessons  learned through these tough
years may prove to be useful, part of a solid base for developing
tactical media in peace.  Without good communication, it is not
possible to work for better understanding among people, nor is it
possible to dismantle prejudices based on misinformation.

regards,
zana poliakov
cybercook

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 0 9 |
                                                                         - - - -

artist dealing with crypto on the net wanted

I am working on my final  exams - an online-magazine about time.
Cause of this I am looking for an artist who deals with crypto in one
or more projects to publish something about it in the magazine.
The work has do tbe online.
If this fits to you or you know someone doing this please contact me:
N.Franz@netsurf.de

thx!!!

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 1 0 |
                                                                         - - - -

SWITCH invites you to participate in the quest for the digital media art of
the next millennium.

What is SWITCH ?

Switch is the new media journal of the Cadre Institute, devoted to reporting
and discussing new digital arts as they develop. The Cadre Institute is an
interdisciplinary academic and research program at San Jose State
University, and has published Switch on the WWW since 1995.

We have sensed that there are many unexplored forms of database as net art.
However, just as there were many chaotic and useless web pages that effected
the development of many innovative network arts, We suspect that there are
various types of databases out there which imply unexplored conceptual
perspectives for either artists or active web surfers who are considering
the riches of database in network art forms. Moreover, there are also
potentially unintentional efforts (as art) out there that are very
intriguing, though not explicitly as art. Such databases may function as art
in unexpected ways.

Switch works hard to bring you the best coverage and criticism of new
technology in digital art, and we welcome all your valuable suggestions. If
you know of a great database on the web (art or not) that Switch is not
aware of, be sure to let us know about it.

Sincerely,

YuLin Chien

Switch on line journal of Cadre institute at SJSU

Post: http://switch.sjsu.edu/

Contact: ulyjen@hotmail.com

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 1 1 |
                                                                         - - - -

BOSNIAN INSTITUTE, London
NEWS UPDATE, OCTOBER 1999

http://www.bosnia.org.uk

 IVAN COLOVIC SPEAKS ON "MYTH AND NATIONAL IDENTITY"

The speaker for our regular Monthly Forum at the University of
Westminster on Monday 1st November, will be Ivan Colovic, the eminent
cultural and political anthropologist, who will speak on "Myth and
National Identity".

Dr  Colovic is based at the Institute of Ethnography of the Serbian
Academy of Science in Belgrade.  He has written eight books focusing on
problems in urban ethnology, ethno-linguistics and political
anthropology.  Over the past decade he has written extensively on
political themes in popular culture, and the role of popular culture and
folklore in war propaganda. He is a translator and editor, and
collaborates with several European journals, in particular,
Transeuropeennes.

For further information please contact

The Bosnian Institute
Tel:  0171-243-2900
Fax: 0171-243-8874
E-mail: bosinst@globalnet.co.uk

http://www.bosnia.org.uk

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 1 2 |
                                                                         - - - -

cctv.ch/nomad say: *welcome, where ever you spit, there's
a camera.*

---|||---|||---|||---|||---|||---|||---|||---|||---|||---|||---|||---|||---|||--
-|||---|||---

cctv.ch and nomad online agents produce a live-internet tv.
the big sensations are off, in are the personal views daily
of festival life.

cctv.ch/nomad constructs a portal that doesn't send off
clear signals. the times of the every day life sensations
are over, also for cctv.ch/nomad. new ones will not be
invented.

tv's self over-estimation will not stay unnoticed.

cctv.ch/nomad smile and makes a bow.

---|||---|||---|||---|||---|||---|||---|||---|||---|||---|||---|||---|||---|||--
-|||---|||---

archives of the broadcasted material of the following dates
can be viewed and downloaded and are ready for recycled use.

friday 29.10.99  / 15.00-17.00 CET
saturday 30.10.99  / 15.00-17.00 CET

---|||---|||---|||---|||---|||---|||---|||---|||---|||---|||---|||---|||---|||--
-|||---|||---|||---

direct your browers to http://www.nomad.ch/viper/

---|||---|||---|||---|||---|||---|||---|||---|||---|||---|||---|||---|||---|||--
-|||---|||---

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 1 3 |
                                                                         - - - -

CASA DAS ROSAS OPENS THE ROOMS OF THE IMMANENT ONES TO THE PUBLIC
<Vestige> starts a new phase of the experimentation  process

The exhibition <Immanence -  the placed body> ends on the 30th of October
with the exit of the eight artists <installed> at the Casa das Rosas, at 12
a.m. On the same day, at 6 p.m., the immanent ones will come back to the
gallery for the opening of the event <Vestige>.

During eight consecutive days, eight artists became their own artwork.
They lived individually inside the rooms of the gallery with no
contacts with any external inputs.
No TV, no radio, no newspapers, no computers, no voice but their own.
To live with oneself, on edge.

The new exhibition, <Vestiges> sets a new stage of the process of
<Immanence - the placed body>.
In it, the public, will be able to visit the rooms of the immanent ones
and recognize the results of the experience by the personal belongings left
in the spaces and the works created during the immanence.

More then visible vestiges, on this Saturday, the eight artists may issue
reports for the Press about the days of voluntary permanence in the Casa das
Rosas.

They lived a paradox, while they were "installed" in a small physical
space, the Internet
propitiated a virtual superexposure of the daily life of each one of them.

The artists which participated of the exhibition <Immanence -  the placed
body>: the musician Alberto Marsicano, the artist, Cláudio Spínola, the actor
and performer João André da Rocha, the performer and actress Leila D’, the
dancer Leila Keirós, the performer Naira Ciotti, the designer and artist,
Rogério Borovik and the actress and performer Samira Brandão.

<Vestige>
Exhibition: from the 30th of October to the 7th of November, 1999

<Immanence> and <Vestige>
on-line at http://www.dialdata.com.br/casadasrosas

IMMANENCE was conducted ON-LINE
by Lucas Bambozzi

IMMANENCE was conceived by brazilian artists
J.R. Aguilar and Renato Cohen and Lucas Bambozzi.

CASA DAS ROSAS
Av. Paulista, 37
01311-902 - São Paulo - S.P.
tel/fax: (11) 251-5271 / 288-9447
rosas37@dialdata.com.br
www.dialdata.com.br/casadasrosas

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 1 4 |
                                                                         - - - -

 (please forward it)
Mediaterra festival / Athens / Greece // December 11,12,13 1999

Deadline for cdrom + video submissions = November 1, 1999
Deadline for web-art = November 12, 1999

 (Participants must come from the Mediterranean and Balkan countries.)
Competition fields of the festival:
Video art
Feature-length video art
Computer animation
Interactive Art (CD-ROM, DVD)
Web art
corresponding fields for schools and students (with competition fields for
the above categories)

Info + entry form:
http://www.otenet.gr/fournos/prog_en.htm

Parallel to the festival = "PENDULUM International Symposium" <
http://www.otenet.gr/fournos/prog_en.htm#pendulum  >

The main objective of the Symposium, as well as of the Festival, is to
promote a creative cultural dialogue between opposite sides and lead to the
discovery of the unexpecte : <Inspiration - Imitation> <Virtual - Real>
<Universal - Local>  <Space - Net>  <Authority - Freedom>  <Creativity and
Technology>  <Geography of the New Media>  <Delimiting of a Liquid Art>
For the virtual exhibition and competition of web based artworks:
With the exhibition we want to have an approximate view of the complex
artistic image of the Mediterranean and Balkan area. How is configured by
the local artistic intentions, will and feelings toward the international
net-space.
(1. The works can be located anywhere in the net.
2. We are curious for works in local languages, related to the net space. 3.
Commercial commissioned works will not be accepted.)

All the submitted and accepted works will be linked in the site of Fournos,
and exhibited during the three days of the festival. For that purpose, about
5 PC's and 5 Mac's and a projector for screening the works will be
available.

Fournos: http://www.otenet.gr/fournos
Mediaterra festival and Pendulum symposium:
http://www.otenet.gr/fournos/prog_en.htm
In Greek: http://www.otenet.gr/fournos/main_gr.htm
In French: http://www.otenet.gr/fournos/fest99fr.htm
Contact and submissions: eikona@hol.gr ; addfield@ath.forthnet.gr

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 1 5 |
                                                                         - - - -

---------------------------

Skopje Museum for Contemporary Art
and

'359¦ - network for local and subaltern hermeneutics'

are cordialy inviting You for the lecture of

NEBOJSA VILIC

'WEST, EAST OR CENTRAL EUROPEAN ART? 'Stop Making Sense!'

[followed by slide projection from the exhibition 'After the Wall',
Moderna Museet Stokholm]

Skopje MoCA

October 29, 8 p.m.

---------------------
the text of the lecture is available on:

http://members.xoom.com/web359

Nebojsa Vilic, Ph.D.
Faculty of Drama Arts
University 'SS. Cyril and Methodius'
Ruger Boskovic b.b. / P.O.Box 134
MK-91000 Skopje, Macedonia
tel. 389 91 37 05 96  fax 389 91 36 12 56

http://members.xoom.com/vilic

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 1 6 |
                                                                         - - - -

FULL PLAY

A spectacular site specific dance / hybrid media performance
in the Gasometer - Westergasfabriek,

Amsterdam, 5, 6 & 7 November

"...now the objects perceive us...."

Full Play is a research production, a spectacular hybrid media and
site-specific dance theatre performance, developed specifically for the
unique space of the gasometer of the Westergasfabriek in Amsterdam. Full
Play is developed in Cologne by Paolo Atzori, Anthony Moore, in
collaboration with Martin Butler and Paul Derksen, who both live and work
in Amsterdam. Full Play is a new production in the series "Electronic
Scenography", which consists of a series of  media / dance / theatre events
by Fabrizio Plessi and Paolo Atzori. The series included mayor productions
with choreographer Frederic Flamand, such as Titanic, Ex Machina, and
Moving Target.

The performance revolves around an interactive theatre machine that plays
on the archetypal notion of the 'theatron' (a place for seeing). The
natural mode of seeing and perceiving is confronted with an artificial form
of perception. This technological mode of perception is the basis for a
spectacular twelve-screen 360°  electronic panorama, built specifically for
the impressive space of the gasometer of the Westergasfabriek in Amsterdam.

The panorama reveals aspects of the choreography that otherwise remain
hidden for the human perceptual apparatus. It confronts the audience with
the sensation that "..now the objects perceive us" ( rather than the other
way around...)

The choreography re-instates the bodily domain in this technological locus,
this artificial place of seeing. The perceptiveness of the (integral) body
becomes a counterpoint to the disembodied data of the technological
perception apparatuses, the vision machines.

Full Play is a co-production of De Balie, Centre for Culture and Politics
(Amsterdam) and the Academy of Media Arts Cologne, and is produced in the
context of Kunst NRW.NL, a cultural co-operation project of The Netherlands
and North Rhine Westphalia.

Scenography: Paolo Atzori       Musical Composition: Anthony Moore
Choreography: Martin Butler     Marek Goldowski & Peter Simon: Sound
Dramaturgy: Paul Derksen        Space Concept: Nicolas Desponds
Video: Thomas Tirel             Digital Video Engineering: Ivo Andreew
Software / Interface Development: Robert O'Kane

"Electronic Scenography" web site with projects by Paolo Atzori & Fabrizio
Plessi, including the Full Play web site:
http://www2.khm.de/~e_szenografie/

The concept of the "Vision Machine" that Paul Virilio outlined in his book
"La machine de vision" has played an important role in the conceptual
development of Full Play. An english translation of the text can be found
on-line at:

http://www.duth.gr/~mboudour/virilio2.html

Practical Information

LOCATION: Gasometer Westergasfabriek, Amsterdam

DATES: 5 (premiere), 6 & 7 November 1999.
(Try-out: November 4)

TIME: 21.00 hrs

TICKET RESERVERATIONS: +31.20 - 681 30 68
or AUB Uitlijn: +31.900.0191

PRICE:  f 15,- (CJP, Pas65, Stadspas) f 12,50

Further information  - De Balie (Amsterdam):
Tel. 020 - 553 51 51

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 1 7 |
                                                                         - - - -

 Distance Focale
 ---------------
 The device focuses on the action of each one, within a collective and
directed dynamic.

Aim : fix an image created by actions(commands) send by every operator
present at the meeting time.

 [november 2 1999 - 14h00/15h00]

 - Collective Development of a picture via Web interface
(+webcam)/irc/e-mail/ located handling of the objects.

 [ http://www.x-arn.org/x/btm/bsx/perfobulot/ ]

 - Process duration : 60 min.

 Distance Focale
 ---------------
 - Visibility (~feedback) of the actions in a determinated duration.

 - Interface as a convergence's node of individual actions and those
produced
 by collective dynamic (~network).
 - Interface as a focusing distance required for the development of
interactions
(Net--> local area), also Interface as a visible aspect of what we call
interactivity (dialogue between a person and information provided
by a computer (in this case)).

 Distance Focale
 ---------------
 A shared device processed is carried out in multiple times (overlaps)

 storage/installation:
  - A document: commands sent (log IRC)
 - A document: treated commands (video / sequence shot)
  - A document: final snapshot (jpg)

  [french version]

  Distance focale

  Le dispositif focalise sur l'action de chacun assimilée à une dynamique
collective et orientée.

 Objectif : fixer une image résultant des actions (commandes) de chacun des
opérateurs présents lors du rendez-vous.

 [ Mardi 2 Novembre 1999 à 14h ]

  - Elaboration collective d'une photo  : via interface web (+webcam)
/irc/e-mail/manipulation localisée des objets

 [ http://www.x-arn.org/x/btm/bsx/perfobulot/ ]

  - Durée du processus : 60 mn

  Distance focale

   visibilité (~feedback) des actions sur une durée donnée.

  L'interface comme point de convergence des actions individuelles et de
celles produites par la dynamique collective
  (~reseau).

  L'interface comme distance de mise au point nécessaire aux  interactions
(net-local)
  mais aussi l'interface comme rapport de visibilité à ce que l'on appelle
l'interactivité (activité de dialogue entre un individu et une
 information fournie par une machine (réduction)).

  Distance focale

  Un dispositif partagé dont le processus se réalise en temps multiples
(imbrications)

  stockage/installation
 - Un document : commandes envoyées (log irc)
 - Un document : commandes traitées (vidéo/ un plan séquence)
 - Un document : photo finale (jpg)

actions réseaux numériques / www.x-arn.org
                       globalbsx
    http://www.x-arn.org/x/btm/enterBSX.htm